Powerpc And Powerpc Qoriq Support

We want to let the community know that we will no longer be providing new Power PC and PPC QorlQ Linux builds of Sync. These platforms had very few users out of the millions of people who use Sync, and we're going to use the resources spent to maintain these platforms to make Sync better for more popular platforms.

Let us know if there are any questions.

• 7 months later...
I also am a PPC Synology user of Sync, and without Sync running on my NAS, it barely makes sense to run it at all.  Some questions:

What is the final version of Sync available for the PPC architecture?

Where can it be downloaded from?

For that final PPC build, what more recent Sync versions are still compatible? (I remember in the early days, even a small peer version mismatch would wreak havoc)

Please consider open sourcing this to (a) allow broad platform support without further investment, (B) improve the security of the software and enable it to be used in high risk environments as an alternative to centralized cloud systems and © be awesome

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

what the REAL issue is about maintaining builds for these architectures? Would you have to keep specific pre-processing instructions in the source code for the compiler? Is it lack of availability for environments running on ppc for testing/verification? I mean, it's hard to understand it is ONLY just because there is a low number of users that is the reason? Well, we may be few, but we exist.

I hope you would reconsider this decision in the future.

I was thinking of upgrading to a newer model of Synology due to this problem. But then I thought: Should I spend all that money just because BTSync is not updated anymore on my current model? Nah, that's crazy, I love my little DS213+ :)

@Spartakus As Sync Team is not very large, we have pretty finite resources. So every time we choose to support some OS / platform it means we'll lack manforce in some other area. Opposite is also true: when we drop support of some platform, we can spend our time to support something else or design a new feature or just improve product stability at the end of day.

• 1 month later...