[Solved] Assert Failed /mnt/jenkins/workspace/build-Sync-X64/readonlystrategy.cpp:509

chrisvdb

Hi,

I'm using btsync 2.1.3 on Ubuntu. I'm trying to sync ~200 GB of pictures between two machines using a 1.4 style folder. One peer has a rw secret whereas the other one has a encrypted ro secret.

The latter gets the following error after ~20 GB of sync'ing:

[20150817 06:58:49.872] SyncFolderScanner: Posting update event for file "/var/btsync/chrisvdb/Pictures/5L6JR35WLCIKX373LNF6BJ5NVQIIZRDXZPA4AMI/KXHIPLDBK7JHMIPXR6RFF2NQ44/APUKYQ
PDDMUCU3S4BE6FF3IKYA/WFKIWNVLIRSSSQYGM3ZGQZ3OY4"
[20150817 06:58:49.872] FC[27CC]: file updated - processing file /var/btsync/chrisvdb/Pictures/5L6JR35WLCIKX373LNF6BJ5NVQIIZRDXZPA4AMI/KXHIPLDBK7JHMIPXR6RFF2NQ44/APUKYQPDDMUCU3S
4BE6FF3IKYA/WFKIWNVLIRSSSQYGM3ZGQZ3OY4 t:1218875410 s:4206152 id:2305:149695474
[20150817 06:58:49.872] JOURNAL[27CC]: detected updated file "5L6JR35WLCIKX373LNF6BJ5NVQIIZRDXZPA4AMI/KXHIPLDBK7JHMIPXR6RFF2NQ44/APUKYQPDDMUCU3S4BE6FF3IKYA/WFKIWNVLIRSSSQYGM3ZGQ
Z3OY4". Checking filehash
[20150817 06:58:49.872] assert failed /mnt/jenkins/workspace/Build-Sync-x64/ReadOnlyStrategy.cpp:509

Deleting the file will restart the sync'ing temporarily but the same issue occurs again after a few hours.

Please find the logs of the encrypted read-only peer here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uj8xlstcff70aq/sync.log.tgz?dl=0

Regards,
Chris.

Hi,

I haven't disabled this in the configuration.

Wouldn't the assert mean that the file is altered although it is not supposed to be altered in ro mode? I have checked and there is no other process accessing the files.

I just happened again... I have uploaded the logs again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6arxoub5b8bcyk/sync.log.tar.bz2?dl=0 . Removing the file again (temporarily) solved the issue.

Chris.

Chris, 

Wouldn't the assert mean that the file is altered although it is not supposed to be altered in ro mode? 

no. That assert line in log means that option "Overwrite" gets disabled. Do you run nSync with UI? Can you please make screenshot of folder preferences?

Technically files can be changed in RO mode. but in encrypted RO folder such files shall always equal to files on RW peers, thus such files re-sycned  immediately after change, due to "Overwrite" option enabled. 

What is exactly the problem with it is apart from you seeing this line in the log?

No, I run sync in configuration mode with the webgui disabled. Configuration:

{  "device_name": "Timbuktu", "listening_port" : 65432, "storage_path" : "/var/lib/btsync", "check_for_updates" : false, "use_upnp" : false, "download_limit" : 0, "upload_limit" : 0, "webui" : {   //"listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",   //"login" : "admin",   //"password" : "password" } , "shared_folders" : [   {// Pictures (encrypted read-only)      "secret" : "<snip>",     "dir" : "/var/btsync/chrisvdb/Pictures",     "use_relay_server" : false,     "use_tracker" : true,     "use_dht" : false,     "search_lan" : false,     "use_sync_trash" : true,     "known_hosts" :     [ "<snip>:65432" ]   }]  , "disk_low_priority" : false, "lan_encrypt_data" : true, "lan_use_tcp" : true, "folder_rescan_interval" : 3600, "rate_limit_local_peers" : false, "sync_trash_ttl" : 30, "log_size" : 100}

After the error btsync crashes. I need to delete the affected file and restart btsync for it to continue (until the next time).

chrisvdb,

Tried to reproduce - didn't crash. Can you please collect the logs from both peers and cash dumps from this Ubuntu: in terminal  run ulimit -c unlimited.  From this Terminal window start Sync. When Sync crashes, there should be a crash dump placed near btsync binary. Submit all via web form to support team. 

Please do not forget to put the link to this topic. and please, and please tell a few words about Faraday (what is it) and the file in problem - is a a regular jpg? 

Thank you!

So far you can user lsof or fatrace for ubuntu to check what might be accessing the file.

Hi Helen,

I have restarted btsync on Timbuktu (Linux timbuktu 3.19.0-20-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 29 10:10:47 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) with 'ulimit -c unlimited'. I will post the log + coredump on the next failure.

Faraday is a QNAP TS-253 NAS running the same version of btsync. I use the standard (outdated) QNAP btsync package but replaced the binary with the newer version (32-bit glib 2.3). Btsync on Faraday hasn't crashed a single time yet.

Do you know how to enable debug logging on btsync for QNAP? I tried putting debug.txt in the directory of the binary but that didn't seem to have worked.

The files are mostly normal JPGs and some AVIs. I do not know what files are the culprits due to the encryption... I can only see the encrypted filename on Timbuktu.

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris,

Success - I was finally able to reproduce it! I required me to manually change files on RO and RW peers though, but the pattern seems to be the same. So no need for logs and dumps so far, I guess, I've collected these from my machines. But perhaps we might need some additional info from you, so I'll write to you then. 

Thank you for the report!

Ok, so, btsync ran for a few hours without issues and then crashed again. Unlike the previous crashes removing the faulty file does not seem to fix the issue... when I restart btsync it crashes again a few seconds later on a different file.

I have coredumps and logs in case you still want them.