nworbcire

I can't figure this out...

I have this...

ComputerA, ComputerB, ComputerC, ComputerD, ComputerE

And each computer has the same 3 folders, in the same structure under C:\

C:\SiteFiles\Data3\*.*

C:\SiteFiles\Data2\*.*

C:\SiteFiles\Data1\*.*

I want to sync the contents of the 3 folders from each of the 5 "child" computers to a "parent" computer.

So in the end I have something like this...

MasterComputer

[someDir]\ComputerA\Data1\*.*

[someDir]\ComputerA\Data2\*.*

[someDir]\ComputerA\Data3\*.*

[someDir]\ComputerB\Data1\*.*

[someDir]\ComputerB\Data2\*.*

[someDir]\ComputerB\Data3\*.*

... and so on.

Because I have the same structure on all "child" systems and only one "default" folder on the "parent" system I can't see how to create a structure that would allow me to separate the sync'd files into what I've shown above.

What I expected was the software would allow me to pick where I wanted to store the files for each sync relationship instead of just a big "default" folder on the non-originating system (parent system).

Is what I'm describing possible?

Thanks
Eric

You can change the default folder before setting up each sync. Set it to [someDir]\ComputerA, then set up the sync with the SiteFiles folder of Computer A. This should give the the synced folder under [someDir]\ComputerA\SiteFiles with the three subfolders.

Then you can change the default folder to [someDir]\ComputerB, sync computer B and so on. The folder location of already synced folders doesn't change if you switch the default folder.

Sync just appends the name of the folder you sync to the current default folder

If you for whatever reason don't want to have the same name of the folder as on the other computers (so, say [someDir]\ComputerA directly with the three subfolders instead of the SiteFiles folder), you can start syncing as before, then disconnect the folder (deleting any files that may already have been synced) and then use the connect option of the folder. Then you'll be able to directly choose the folder. That's how I did it. Haven't found a way to have Sync always prompt me for the location immediately.

Also if you're using the free version, you can onyl sync 10 folders, so you won't want to sync each Data folder for each computer individually.

What I expected was the software would allow me to pick where I wanted to store the files for each sync relationship instead of just a big "default" folder on the non-originating system (parent system).

Is what I'm describing possible?

Eric, are all PCs linked under one identity?

If yes, keep master PC in "Disconnected" mode. Then add the desired folder to Sync on A,B,C,D, E. the folders will appear as dotted on master. And when right click on each -> connect, you will be able to pick location.

One tip: Do it step-by-step - add folders on A, and connect these on master, then add folder on B, and connect these on Master, etc. 

Otherwise, taking into account that the folder are named the same on each on A-E, on master you will end up with 5 Data1 folders, 5 Data2 and 5 Data 3 not knowing which of them belongs to which of PC. 

If they are not linked, just share the folder via link from A,B,C,D,E, to Master, paste the shared link to 'Manual connection" and you will also be able to pick location for the shared folder.