Ports For Linking Devices

mintwurm

I've set up sync on my notebook and now need to link all my devices.

Smartphone and tablet worked directly.

The server doesn't.

All those devices are connected to the same router, an AVM FritzBox. The laptop, phone and tablet via WLAN, the server via LAN.

I copied the key from the notebook (manually link desktop device) and pasted it under manual connection on the server. It says that the linking process could take up to 60 seconds, I've waited about 5 minutes. They don't find each other.

I tried connecting the Notebook via LAN, too. Doesn't help.

Then I searched the forums and found this help page:

http://help.getsync.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1953387-what-ports-and-protocols-are-used-by-sync-?b_id=3895

Apparently sync uses the port 3838 to discover peers.

I tried to open this port but still, the devices don't find each other.

Is there another port that I should try ?

What should I do ?

I got it now. But the solution is rather strange.

Connecting the device with the key from my notebook doesn't work.

- port 3838 was free

- they were both in the same LAN network

Connecting the device with my phone worked: I chose connect device on the server and scanned the QR code with my phone.

Now notebook and server see each other. They can communicate and send data to each other.

Between posting the first question and trying the connection with my phone I made no changes to the network settings.

Now I'm synching data between notebook and pi. Works fine.

But a folder created on the pi is not showing up on the notebook. Is this normal ? Does it take some time to propagate the information about a new folder ?

If this is off-topic, I'm sorry. But it seems to me that a new folder on one of my devices should show up immediately on all others. This is not connected to the port problems, is it ?

A new folder created on the notebook shows up on the pi immediately (not even a second delay).

A new folder on the pi never shows up on the notebook.

Strange.

@mintwurm

But a folder created on the pi is not showing up on the notebook. Is this normal ? Does it take some time to propagate the information about a new folder ?

It takes some time to propgate, but not much. Also note, that if some of your peers run Free version - folders are not propagated to them.

If this is off-topic, I'm sorry. But it seems to me that a new folder on one of my devices should show up immediately on all others. This is not connected to the port problems, is it ?

It could be connectivity issue. Folders propagated as files in service Sync folder. To technically, folders does not propagate if peers can't connect (or if someone of them is Free).