Btsync On Synology Nas - How To Setup Multiple Users

Hello btsync community,

I am evaluating BitTorrent Sync sinf a couple of days.

I use a Synology NAS to store and backup al the files for my Family members, therefore I installed the latest BitTorrent Sync package available for Synology: 2.0.93-1.

Now I would like to have separate sync users for each Family mamber, specially to be able to separate the different camera backups from each users' smartphone.

I haven't yet been able to find a suitble guide to create multiple users on btsync on a Synology NAS.

Is there anyone with a similar use case who has manged to configure multiple users on a Synology btsync package?

If yes, how does it work? Any hint or link would be very appreciated.

Thank you & best regards,

nv-bn

@nv-bn

The Sync itself does not support multi-users for Linux. Once started, it is going to create files and folders using current user and usergroup as owners and using their umask for file permissions. By default, Sync on Synology runs under admin user. 

I can see 2 ways how you can deal with separate users. For both you'll need to SSH to your Synology and manually tweak the way Sync runs on your NAS.

1) Make sure that Sync's user (either admin or any other you decide) also part of group where your family members are. Ensure that umask for new files created has "RW" permissions for group, not only for users. If you decide to run Sync not from admin users - ensure it has enough permissions to its own files (/usr/local/bittorrentsync/var) and folders where users keep their files.

2) Run separate instance of Sync for every user on your NAS. It's pretty straightforward here - though you'll need to also ensure that every instance has its own storage folder and is started when OS loads.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/19/2015 at 1:22 PM, RomanZ said:

2) Run separate instance of Sync for every user on your NAS. It's pretty straightforward here - though you'll need to also ensure that every instance has its own storage folder and is started when OS loads.

Could you go a bit more into detail on this one? Do I just have to login as a different user in the Synology Web GUI and start Sync for a second time from there or how does this work?

I've recently upgraded to the family license because I just could not fathom that there would ever be a problem using multiple users on a NAS... but here I am :/ Please help me out.