Best Practice For Office With Private & Shared

PaulU

Hi All,

I'm quite new to Sync & just want to seek guidance on best-practice on how to set-up our environment.

Can anyone help ?

We've ~65 PCs, each would have 2.x Pro licence.

I'm planning two separate file servers (LINUX) - located at opposite ends of building, providing better physical resilience vs. a single NAS device with RAID disks.

I need one share that everyone can access;

I need shares for individual workgroups - that only they can see;

I need personal files per workstation to be synced on file servers - but visible only to the owner - just for backup purposes

How ought I configure SYNC across the workstations & fileservers to best achieve this ?

For better data security, can I encrypt (or simply not decrypt) the files on the servers ?

I don't understand the 50 xx limit that applies somehow to this product - can anyone explain that in noob terms & let me know if we'll be affected by it ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

PaulU,

If I get your setup right.... 

when you share a folder per workgroup, every PC in this workgroup will be able to access and sync all the files in the folder. So if you seek "personal files per workstation to be synced on file servers" add the folder with these files separately on the workstation and share individually (with RO permission level) to the server. otherwise, in case you share a folder per workgroup, the files will get mixed, and files from PC1 will appear on PC2, and vice versa, and all of them - on the server. 

As for encryption, Sync allows sharing encryption-only, and encryption-decryption keys.

As for limit of 50 xx -  there is a limit of 50 devices that can be linked to single identity, but it's only intended to protect you against a stolen license key or publicly exposed license key. 

Also, there is a limit of 100 peers that can be connected to a share at a same time.

Thanks Helen.

To save cost, could I just Pro licence one the servers & share RW the respective global-shares; group-shares & private directories to all users ? (I won't need users to share their own folders on an ad-hoc basis) ? I guess this is where the 50 devices limit might come into effect ?

Just trying to identify any limitation to this approach vs. licensing each & every user ?

Against my question, I didn't quite understand the - 'As for encryption, Sync allows sharing encryption-only, and encryption-decryption keys.' - could you elaborate a little ?

On 100 peers to one share .. what if I've 200 users ?

Thanks again.

Against my question, I didn't quite understand the - 'As for encryption, Sync allows sharing encryption-only, and encryption-decryption keys.' - could you elaborate a little ?

The feature is a bit hidden, there is more information here:

https://danieldk.eu/Posts/2015-10-18-erp.html

If you search this forum, for encrypted read-only peer, you will also find more information.

PaulU,

50 device limit - applies to devices linked to your server's identity, something you see in "My devices" list. If you're not going to link all the workstation under 1 Sync identity, that limit doesn't apply to you. 

EULA impliies Pro for every person who's going to use Sync in business purposes. If you need bulk Pro, please contact business development to discuss details, I've PM'ed details to you. 

100 limit - is the number of connected peers, at a time, something you see in "Peers online" list. You can share the folder with unlimited number of peers, but only 100 first of them will be able to be connected at a time. others will have to wait till one of those 100 will go offline.