Sync acting as a web drive server

houman1209

It would be a really powerful feature that users would be able to assign a url to the folder (something short like folder123.sync.to), which leads to a web drive of the folder when at least one of the folder's devices are online.

The initial handshake is handled by the node, but file transfers are direct from the web device to all the normal devices. This would enable users to upload or download files from their synced folders on a device without Sync installed.

I foresee this would require extra framework for the nodes, so this might work as a pro-only feature.

+1

Or simply https://gersync.com/secret?<folder secret>

That's something I miss comparing btsync to centralized providers. 

Sounds like pretty much work though, how would up/downloads be done? A javascript-based bittorrent client running at clientside sounds unrealistic, and a browser plugin to manage the transfer is sort of love downloading the whole client. 

Since the main thing of btsync is it being p2p it also seems plain wrong to have additional servers between Web client and peers, converting torrent to simple GET. 

Good idea anyway, I'll be following this one.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2016 at 9:58 AM, houman1209 said:

It would be a really powerful feature that users would be able to assign a url to the folder (something short like folder123.sync.to), which leads to a web drive of the folder when at least one of the folder's devices are online.

Something like this might be possible as a plugin to OwnCloud or similar file sharing applications. It's not a universal solution for all BT users, but it might be possible with some creative thinking.

There is already a plugin for torrenting in OwnCloud.

If a plugin for whichever platform were made, maybe it just starts out as a simple connector for uploading or downloading via urls sans downloading BT Sync.

20 hours ago, hoochalaffa said:

@ivarson What about a Browser Plugin? It could make it sending files to non-BT-sync-users so much easier? I started a post here.

I think what I was trying to say there, was that installing a plugin is "sort of _like_ installing a standalone client. s/love/like...

I don't like plugins in general but that discussion is OT :-)