Add an pre-sync'd folder

Hi,

I have BitSync working between about 4 windoze machines and 2 iOS devices and love it. Thanks!

Anyway, On my Windoze boxes, I have a second HDD which holds my data (this is what I'm syncing). I am about to have my Laptop upgraded by my company's IT dept from W7 to W10. This will involve swapping out my OS drive.

Obviously, I will re-install Bitsync afterwards, but I don't want it to re-sync all my data! IS there a configuration file / folder or something somewhere I can copy over so that it recognizes the existing Sync status?

Thanks!

You could always backup your storage folder

Even if you don't do that, assuming your folders on the external drive are all in Sync with the other devices you're syncing with before your system drive is swapped, then installing sync fresh on your new drive and adding the folders back in manually should mean that they won't "re-sync" everything all over again again, as Sync will be able to detect that they're already in sync! (i.e. it'll re-index the newly added folders, but no data should transfer)

@GreatMarko Depending on size of share, that indexing could take some extensive time though, might be worth restoring storage folder if share is >2TB or so?

running 5 disks through a usb3hub with Storage Spaces though, performance isnt exactly outstanding here...

(haven't actually thought of restoring data folder myself)

Thanks, folks!

I guess my bigger concern was that when I added the existing folder, it would see this is new files with conflicting names and add them all to the cloud - again, with some kind of conflict-resolution filename.

Where is the Storage folder located? I am assuming this is where the configs and so on are?

26 minutes ago, Wierdbeard65 said:

Ok,

So before I started, I had:

d:\Sync\FolderA
d:\Sync\FolderB

I backed up that folder. Swapped to the new OS Drive. Re-Installed BitSync. Restored the folder. Was prompted to enter my key. And...

d:\Sync\FolderA
d:\Sync\FolderA(1)
d:\Sync\FolderB
d:\Sync\FolderB(1)

:-(

Any ideas?

sync appends (1) by default, if the requested foldername already existed upon 'linkin'. To avoid re-seeding anything you simply remove those paranthesis manually in the add folder dialogue, and confirm when Sync warns you that it already exists. the older folder will not get overwritten if its the same share, it would only be rehashed as @GreatMarko mentioned.