Issue about Windows junctions

carloxp

Hi all

I often use Windows junctions and I really love them.

discovered that if a Junction os renamed and its name is different from the original name, it's not sinced with bts.

Example:

Look at this synced Directory structure. The folder synced with bts is "Shared Folder":

Shared Folder
---My Documents
---My pictures

"My Documents" and "My Pictures" are junctions to folders named "My Documents" and "My Pictures" respectively, that are elsewhere on my Windows fs.
Please, note that renaming a junction with a name different from it's origin's name is a very common practice in Windows, and Windows itself use junctions renaming for localization of the OS.

Now, I rename "My Pictures" junction (not the original folder) to "My Pictures 2016"

Shared Folder
---My Documents
---My pictures 2016

Well after renaming the junction, the folder " My pictures 2016 " is no longer synced. It's ignored as inexistent.

In my screenshots, the first image show the origin folder, where "QuickAccessPopup - Junction" and "Session Manager ENVY" are renamed junctions.
The second image show the same folder synced with bts on my NAS.

ju2.png

ju1.png

Could you, please, try yourself the issue? It's a known issue or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you very much
Carlo

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have no explanations about junctions support. I hope that Resilio will implement junctions support very soon, as they are a commonly used part of Windows itself and are extremely useful.

However, I regularly use junctions without problems: just remember to never rename junction with a name different from it's origin. In other words, leave original directory and junctions point have the same name. Otherwise sync will fail.