Sync just disconnected all of my folders and deleted all of my archives

wakka

So this is my story ... I really needed some files from my archives because they accidentally got deleted on another device. So far so good, that's what sync archives are for right? WRONG: today, bit torrent sync for whatever reason just disconnected all of my folders on all of my devices. The bad thing about this is that for whatever reason bit torrent sync also deletes the archive when disconnecting a folder. Really guys this is a very bad decision and leads to data loss (especially when bit torrent itself disconnects the folder automatically because of some stupid bug!). It deleted very important files I have and this just destroyed ALL of the trust I put into bit torrent sync.

You really should be more sensitive when deciding when to delete files from the archive folder. Also I really don't understand why you by default delete files out the archive older than 1 month. Really it should be 1 year at least.

wakka, 

Support team got your report and replied there. I'll link this forum post there as well.

I've studied your logs and see that you use v2.3.6, and there Archive was indeed removed at folder disconnection. That was a bad design and is fixed by now, in v 2.3.7. 

As for folder suddenly got disconnected, we've left a few comments in the ticket. 

I just had all of my folders disconnect on my MacBook Pro last night (while Sync was running; no reboots or restarts of the app), so I tediously reconnected them all. Then my Mac Mini reset all of its folders later this afternoon (this computer is literally never shut down unless a serious security vulnerability needs to be fixed as it acts as more of a home server), so I tediously reconnected them all. Next I expect my Windows 10 (anniversary update) to do it. This was in Sync 2.3.8 for all machines, except one that was running on a virtual machine that I had to rollback to an old snapshot to get it to boot and was updated (I thought) before reconnecting it to the pool. Seriously, when a critical bug fix like this is made it should just outright refuse to connect to older clients especially if they can mess with the newer version, because this screwed me over at the worst possible moment. The second reset occurred long after the application was updated (last night), so I have no clue why it still has an impact that many days later which is why I still am anticipating my Windows 10 machine to do it.

The last three months have been absolutely frustrating due to all the issues I've been running into over and over again, even old ones that I thought were fixed but still apparently can be triggered by simply running an older version unexpectedly.

This problem was addressed in v 2.3.8, though there are a few new reports from users (you can find that on forum), from v2.3.8, which may refer to a cause yet undiscovered. however, we didn't receive any logs with problem reproducing, and that doesn't happen in the lab. So we will really appreciate it if you could submit logs, capturing the moment, from all your machines. Thank you.