Best method to sync same folders on 2 different clients?

YI WANG

Hi everyone,

I got a question about how to sync 2 same folders on 2 different clients. Maybe this situation is a little hard to describe. I usually use FreeFileSync to sync my files. I got one PC, one MBP and a portable HD external disk as the "files transit point". What I did before is to run FFS between MBP and portable HDD before I got off the work. And first thing after I got home is to run FFS from my PC to sync my HDD with the PC in home. Though this is a little foolish, but this method is really reliable and transparent to me.

So after getting familiar with Resilio Sync after around half a year, I hope Sync could played the same role in above situation, taking the place of my previous portable HDD.

What I am asking here is that whether I could sync 2 same folders already existed on my 2 different clients? Rather than waiting Sync to transfer all the files from one client to another one.....

Now I usually doing now is share one folder (from client A) with owner permission, when the other client(client B) started the syncing process, I just disconnected the sync progress(client B) and link the folder which already existed on the client B( this folder is exactly the same like the one on client A). 

I just don't know whether is right for what I am doing here? @Helen 

Thanks in advance, and hope to here from you guys on the forum.

@YI WANG Do I understand correctly that you need to sync 2 folders, with pretty much same existing content between your office and home computer?

If yes, I'm missing the point of

Now I usually doing now is share one folder (from client A) with owner permission, when the other client(client B) started the syncing process, I just disconnected the sync progress(client B) and link the folder which already existed on the client B( this folder is exactly the same like the one on client A). 

Why not just add the folder in office, make the link or key and add same folder at home and let Sync do its job?

1 hour ago, RomanZ said:

@YI WANG Do I understand correctly that you need to sync 2 folders, with pretty much same existing content between your office and home computer?

If yes, I'm missing the point of

Why not just add the folder in office, make the link or key and add same folder at home and let Sync do its job?

b/c the files are too many and maybe indexing and syncing would last for long time. And I already got the same files on another computer, why to sync for another time?

And maybe i also miss ur point? what do you mean " add the folder in office"?

Maybe i didn't make the clear point, what I meant is I got two same folders on 2 computer, can I tell Sync that they are the same, and let the Sync to double check that? Rather than let Sync copy all the files from A to B again and make duplicated files on B?

Roman means to get rid of unnecessary step ( when the other client(client B) started the syncing process, I just disconnected the sync progress(client B)). 

So for you to connect two exsting folders in A and B, do two simple steps: 
1) add folder to Sync on A. send the link to B
2) on B paste link to Manual connection field, and point it to the existing folder on B. 

See this article - is it what you're trying to achieve?