Are relay servers secure?

I keep looking, but can't find any info on security when transferring files through them, only that if you can't connect direct, it will use them. I'm on T-Mobile and I read in the Sync help that T-Mobile blocks Sync... not sure if that's still relevant in July of 2017, but I'm assuming it is, because no amount of port forwarding, triple checking firewalls, using pre-defined hosts will let me connect direct while on mobile... tried the VPN route, but I can't get direct connections there either.

Does anyone have a link to any documentation specific to what happens when you're going through a relay server?

• 2 weeks later...

There is no documentation, but there is not much going on - files are handed over to relay, encrypted, and are passed over to the other side. Files are not stored on relay. Sync uses cryptographic security instead of a password-based system, and all your data is AES-128 encrypted in transit.