Change location of Sync folder - Windows

RottenRonnie

I've been trying to move the main sync folder to %USERPROFILE%\sync from %USERPROFILE%\Onedrive\Documents as I was a bonehead and installed the folder to an area that limits me to 4gb of content. Windows 10.0.18363

I admit, I allowed OneDrive to do it's thing with my laptop, and got a bit peeved when I found out that everything is now by default stored in the limited 5gb free account. 

When I try to do a cut and paste I get "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program". 

• using an elevated command prompt does not work
  • disconnecting folder in resilio sync and pausing sync in OneDrive does not work
  • I checked the Services App but Resilio Sync nor btsync was listed as running?
  • The FAQ for moving the folder is incredibly weak. More of a cheering section than actual instructions. "Yes you can! Ask us how!"
  • I considered removing the file folder locally but Resilio Sync warned me that it would reach out to my server, the Raspberry Pi and delete it there as well as all the connected devices. ???

Annotation 2020-03-14 110139.png

1. try closing WinExplorer and moving it through command prompt 
2. check with ProcMon utility what other process is using the folder. See if it shows you something. Use Filters there 
3. Sync does follow the share's move, but only within one drive. that's basically all about moving shared on Windows and Mac. Move is not supported for Linux - Sync won't follow it 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:17 PM, RottenRonnie said:

I considered removing the file folder locally but Resilio Sync warned me that it would reach out to my server, the Raspberry Pi and delete it there as well as all the connected devices. ???

that's expected if these two devices are linked with one identity through 'My devices'