How to Decrypt a Sync'd Folder

Hello,
Am looking at this howto here:

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/207370466-Encrypted-folders

I've done a test and can see my data is encrypted at the destination (both ends are Windows).  What I just do not get is if I need to recover the encrypted data how doI decrypt it?  I guess I decrypt on the destination server and then sync back or copy to usb for example?

Can anyone guide me on this please and the ctual process to decrypt?

Cheers

You can't decrypt an encrypted shared folder.

From the howto page:

Encrypted node does not have decryption mechanism, so it cannot decrypt files.

When you create a "Encrypted Folder" share on device A, you get 3 keys (R/W, Read-only, Encrypted), the folder on device A is not encrypted and has the original data.

Now when you share the "Encrypted" key to device E, device E has encrypted data after fully synchronized. There's no way to decrypt this folder.

Backup the 3 keys.

You can always get the original data on device A.

If, for some reason, device A is gone (dead system or dead storage), you'll need a new device N, install Resilio Sync, then enter the R/W key (or the Read-only key), synchronize and get the original data on device N.

If your device A is gone, you don't have any other devices linked with R/W key or Read-only key,  and you lost R/W key and Read-only key, consider your original data is gone forever.

• 10 months later...

Hi folks,

Sorry to dust off an old thread, but my question is directly related to the answer here...  

Let's say I didn't "backup the 3 keys" when I successfully set up my encrypted shares 3 years ago, and wanted to fix this error.  Is there a way to find the keys on device A, which is still working?   

Will the "Encrypted Key" shown in Device A's Sync today be the same one I used to set up the original encrypted share?  Or are they dynamic?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 6:36 PM, somethingunchosen said:

Hi folks,

Sorry to dust off an old thread, but my question is directly related to the answer here...  

Let's say I didn't "backup the 3 keys" when I successfully set up my encrypted shares 3 years ago, and wanted to fix this error.  Is there a way to find the keys on device A, which is still working?   

Will the "Encrypted Key" shown in Device A's Sync today be the same one I used to set up the original encrypted share?  Or are they dynamic?

Thanks!

I am 100% new to Resilio, and this post came up in my research on how to use the product. It seems amazing so far.

As for your question, if the key changes over time, I would think that defeats the purpose of having the key in the first place. Just like with other software that uses a "private" backup key, you usually only have to "write down" the key once, and it'll be good for the life of that share or product.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:36 AM, somethingunchosen said:

Will the "Encrypted Key" shown in Device A's Sync today be the same one I used to set up the original encrypted share?

If it is the very same original share, the key should work.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:14 PM, eltopo said:

You can't decrypt an encrypted shared folder.
From the howto page:

Encrypted node does not have decryption mechanism, so it cannot decrypt files.

When you create a "Encrypted Folder" share on device A, you get 3 keys (R/W, Read-only, Encrypted), the folder on device A is not encrypted and has the original data.
Now when you share the "Encrypted" key to device E, device E has encrypted data after fully synchronized. There's no way to decrypt this folder.

The encrypted data can be decrypted on the encrypted node as well. The necessary conditions and details can be found in the mentioned howto on encrypted folders (see the use of the command line interface).

• 10 months later...

Let me help you with the procedure on trying decrypt a resilio sync encrypted folder.

Example is based on windows as described on https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/207370466-Encrypted-folders

Do not delete share from sync, with encrypted folder, because database file with be deleted!

First close Sync application because DB file will be locked

We need folder's RW key in my case DSNE5QZJTXURO3EGY45377RA55QFUXYYG

Resilio exe is located in appdata folder and use parameter /DECRYPT (or --decrypt for linux)

"C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync\Resilio Sync.exe" /DECRYPT

Inside appdata sync folder is located sync.log. Search line that includes the string  with the encrypted folder path  "C:\Users\User\Desktop\test"

Line 2427: [2023-03-03 20:00:56.015] FC[F292:C3EE]: started periodic scan for "\\?\C:\Users\User\Desktop\test"

Then note code F292, the first part in brackets []. This code is incuded in the database's db file name.

Search for database file that contains name F292.some numbers.db in my case the db file has filename , inside appdata and Sync folder,

->  98F44D8E39194C18EBA01C4E00FB414D0256F292.54965.db = Correct File

xx  98F44D8E39194C18EBA01C4E00FB414D0256F292.54965.sf.db = Wrong File

xx  98F44D8E39194C18EBA01C4E00FB414D0256F292.54965.files.db = Wrong File

So database file will be "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync\98F44D8E39194C18EBA01C4E00FB414D0256F292.54965.db"

Command Syntax

Full path of SYNC.exe /DECRYPT <secret key RW - start with D> <db path> <encrypted folder> <output folder>

Encrypted folder in my case is "C:\Users\User\Desktop\test"

and extract folder with decrypted data will be "C:\Users\User\Desktop\test2" ( do not forget to create the folder before decryption)

So in my CMD i will type the command:

C:\Users\User>"C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync\Resilio Sync.exe" /DECRYPT DSNE5QZJTXURO3EGY45377RA55QFUXYYG "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync\98F44D8E39194C18EBA01C4E00FB414D0256F292.54965.db" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\test" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\test2"

If filename path has spaces you must use " " (win and linux).

• 9 months later...