Question on security

Xaotikdesigns

Yes, I've asked the same question too! Especially given that the "secret" is always the same length, and only made up of alpha-numeric characters, it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for a computer to "crack" a secret with relative ease.

I think "Secrets" need to A ) be much longer, B ) be of "variable length", rather than a fixed-length, and C ) permit symbols as well as alpha-numeric characters (i.e. + - = / \ _ : , etc)

The ability to add a custom string to the end of the secret would be good.

For instance, "(randomly generated secret) then who was phone?" would give us the big random character list that could be auto-generated as it is now, plus the phrase that would contain any type of characters and be user generated.

Even with the rather large pool of random secrets that are auto generated, there is still a chance that it will be duplicated. As more people start using sync and share more and more folders on their desktops and phones, it's only a matter of time until someone hits the secret lottery and finds something good.

Or perhaps a way to password protect a secret.

It would be nice if you had a "username" per-se and all your secrets would be prepended with that. Even if it's just a 8 character random string that is in Preferences, that would allow for more entropy.

Another thing that would be useful (which I kinda brought up in another post), would be an option whether you want to create a *new* folder or add an already-synced folder. If we had that option, then if you were making a new one, it could check for collisions when it generated a secret and tell the user that it already exists or just generate a new one.