Granular speed control or queue / priority management ?

drax

Hi Folks,

I'm pretty darn impressed with the Windows BTSync client so far, I can think of a gazillion and one uses, thanks to the devs :)

I can see there's an overall bandwidth control in the preferences, but is a more granular approach on the roadmap ? When BTSync goes mainstream I can see this sort of feature being requested.

Basically what I can see a need for is a way to set the overall bandwidth (done already) and within those limits set slices of that bandwidth on a per folder basis and/or per device basis.

Perhaps instead of setting hard / soft bandwidth limits, setting priorities on different folders / devices might be easier to implement ? Probably be more intuitive too.

Given the mobile nature of our devices it might make sense to have the ability to setup different profiles, Home Lan, Work Lan, Public Wifi etc with predefined bandwidth limits and priorities. And I'm being greedy here, but maybe auto-detect whatever type of network we're on and run the appropriate profile.

I suppose throwing in a scheduler would make sense too.

I haven't been a dev for a long time but I have a feeling this is a lot to ask for, and like I said none of this is a deal breaker for me but I'd be willing to bet small, though vital parts of my anatomy that features like this will be a popular request.

It is indeed so that people will start using the SyncApp and, if they aren't careful, it could get bogged down syncing 400 GB of music or videos while the daily work files are more urgent. I would like to give my "documents" folder precedence over "music" and "video". So: update the WP file I am working on before getting back to the gazillion media files.

• 3 months later...

I second this big time. I use a Verizon MiFi almost daily during my train commute, and it'd be great not to have to remember to turn of BT Sync every time I turn on my MiFi (to avoid blowing through my monthly quota...)

Just detecting the WiFi name and matching to a list of known 'metered connections' to disable syncing (or at least bring up a pop-up) would be a big help.

• 1 year later...

Any update on this? I have fifteen btsync folders configured specifically so I can take advantage of this if its ever implemented. For the moment, I am constantly removing folders from one device or another(within btsync, not the folder itself) that I don't want to have priority and re-adding them later. It is truly a pain that there is no way to tell btsync what should be transferred or when.