Strange disk activity in Resource Monitor

Zbig

Hi,

I'm on Windows 8 x64, BitTorrent Sync 1.0.116. While running the program, I've noticed some disk activity in the Resource Monitor I'm not sure I understand. From the Resource Monitor output it looks like BTSync.exe is constantly writing to my drive's MFT which doesn't seem to make all that much sense to me. If it's really doing it then why? Or maybe it's just some Resource Monitor / Windows API glitch and/or limitation and what it really does is reading MFT (polling it for file changes?). OTOH, the same seems to be the case when running chkdsk in read-only mode - the MFT operations are being reported as writes despite it's obviously the reads which actually happens. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

post-24374-0-53181300-1366994138_thumb.p

Regards

Zbig

That's great, thank you. Furthermore, whenever Sync is running, there is constant disk activity preventing my external storage box from entering the "sleep" state. I can actually hear the HDDs "chatter" every few seconds or so and I'm positive it's actually Sync causing that. Could this be the effect of the realtime file change monitoring functionality? I also have another software offering such feature (CrashPlan) and apparently they're doing it differently - my Drobo device goes to sleep when inactive as it's supposed to despite being monitored for filesystem changes.

I'm aware of the directory rescan happening every 10 minutes but I'm pretty sure what I see (and hear) is constant, low-volume "trickle" transfers every second or so, more or less corresponding to the MFT activity I see in the Resource Monitor. More like constant "pinging" / polling than short bursts I'd normally expect while rescanning the folder.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that constant disk activity on my two Windows 8 machines too. It's something around every 1-2 seconds.

I do have 4 machines with BTSync in my LAN. When I close/exit/kill BTSync on three machines this disk activity stopps on the remaining Windows 8 machine - even if BTSync is running on that last machine.

Regards

EDIT: Need to correct myself. I need to stop BTSync on all four machines to have no longer disk activity in these 1-2 sec intervals.