Defensive Open Source

If I could support a kickstarter type of campaign for opening the source, I'd virtually be throwing money after you, knowing that I'd be solving one of real problems of the internet still around.

Please please please! I love this product so much, but I can't ignore the closed source, it really matters, as you can imagine.

OK guys. This is beginning to get on my nerves.

BTSync is FULL of bugs and it is probably the most unreliable and inconsistent program I have ever seen.

And the problem with it is this:

I have provided quite a lot of proposals to BTSync with specific suggestions, analysis of the MOST critical and literally vital issues and all of it was ignored. In some cases, they even promised to take care of one of the nastiest design flaws related to timediff error, which is clearly a flaw in design in my opinion.

But ALL of it was simply ignored, and its been months now since these issues were raised.

And the sorriest thing is that we can not even fix their bugs because the source is not open and those bugs are most critical, at least to our applications and use. So, they simply MUST be fixed, or else...

Edited by GreatMarko
Post truncated due to inappropriate, agressive, and threatening tone in the remained of the post

BTSync is FULL of bugs and it is probably the most unreliable and inconsistent program I have ever seen.

Do bear in mind that BitTorrent Sync is presently in "beta", and as such bugs are to be expected as in ANY "beta" software

I have provided quite a lot of proposals to BTSync with specific suggestions, analysis of the MOST critical and literally vital issues and all of it was ignored

As I say, BitTorrent Sync is presently in "beta" - bug reports are welcome, and indeed encouraged - they are not simply "ignored", as is clearly evident from the numerous responses from the development team in the "troubleshooting" forum. All issues/bugs reported are investigated and addressed accordingly. The timescale for this process depends upon how quickly the development team can accurately reproduce a reported issue, and how "severe" and widespread the potential issue is are all factors that will determine how quickly an updated build is made available.

Stanha, the remainder of your post has been curtailed due to the inappropriate, aggressive, and threatening tone that followed.

Please remember this is a friendly community where constructive discussion, criticism, and helpful solutions are welcomed and encouraged - the emphasis at all times on being friendly and constructive.

You have been warned by moderators/administrators on a number of occasions previous about the nature and tone of some of your posts here. Further posting of inappropriate content, Stanha, will result in your posting rights being suspended/removed.

@stanha,

I have provided quite a lot of proposals to BTSync with specific suggestions, analysis of the MOST critical and literally vital issues and all of it was ignored. In some cases, they even promised to take care of one of the nastiest design flaws related to timediff error, which is clearly a flaw in design in my opinion.

I'm joining GreatMarko, and adding: the issues raised and bugs reported are not ignored. All of them are categorized and brought to development attention. They are fixed - or planned to be fixed according to their severity and impact.

Hello.

I work for Indiana University and I am currently researching ways to use btsync to synchronize data between different computing clusters and allow users to send/receive input/output data through btsync client. So far my prototype is working very well.

My next step is to get our internal security team to get this product approved to be used within Indiana University and beyond. Since this is closed-source, how can they investigate / endorse this application? (I am not really sure how they do security scanning closed source applications, anyway..) Is there any materials that I can give them? Is there any precedence for a similar project? 

Since this is closed-source, how can they investigate / endorse this application? (I am not really sure how they do security scanning closed source applications, anyway..) Is there any materials that I can give them? Is there any precedence for a similar project?

Dropbox?

Microsoft Skydrive/onedrive?

Box?

Evernote?

Indeed! ..and add to that Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.. heck, the Windows operating system itself!! ...the list of closed-source applications is endless! I find it hard to believe that soichih@gmail.com's university doesn't/can't run any closed source applications!?

Sorry, when I said "is there any precedence", I didn't mean it as asking if we've ever adopted closed source application at IU before. I meant, has BTSync ever worked with other companies, institutions and helped them to get BTSync approved by their security team? Is there any other college campuses that official uses BTSync as part of their system? If we are the first one, is there any material that I can provide to our security team such as some materials on its internal design, protocols, architecture, etc?