Launch / Exit BitTorrent Sync with Tasker (Android)

zappy

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a better solution to automatically launch and exit BitTorrent Sync on Android than my current workaround.

I want Sync running while I'm connected to a power source and my wireless network. So I made a Tasker task that launches the app when these two things occur (+ switching to the Home screen right after, so Sync does not run in the foreground).

So far so good, but killing the Sync app as an exit task doesn't work with Tasker. So I installed the TaskKill plugin: https://play.google.....taskkill&hl=en

The "Simple" and "Advanced" methods here do not work either. You have to use "Extreme" which basically force closes Bittorrent Sync when you disconnect from the wireless network / power.

Can anyone think of a better way to achieve this? - Or even better, could the developers provide a Tasker hook, so we can launch the app directly as a background task and exit it "softly"?

• 2 months later...

Just tried to do this myself as well.  I have BTSync starting only when I'm at work and the phone is plugged in.  Can't get it to exit though.  For now I'm just quitting manually because I don't need to sync very often.  Would love to have this all automated though.

The easiest method would be if the developers provided an Intent with an extra (e.g. "cmd" = "exit") that can be sent to BTSync that causes the same action as selecting "Exit" from the menu. Would perform a clean shutdown and could be used with all those various automation apps.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've tried greenify and it seems to just corrupt it, the icon looks broken after it tries to close it.  I end up just closing it manualy, the only alternitive I can think of is restarting the phone as an exit task.

Can this thread get moved to 'feature requests'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys - 

After using a variety of options, BTSync has become an excellent replacement for multiple apps previously used for many purposes.  Thanks for your work on it!

My Feature Request

Tasker integratoin for BTSync on Android!  A few minutes ago, I searched online to see if BTSync had Tasker integration or possible workarounds.  I found Tasker wasn't currently supported, but did see an overwhelming amount of posts requesting it on various sites including posts on this forum (link).  Based on what I've read so far, any potential workarounds are not stable at all .

How I Was Planning To Use It (For Today's Goal)

One thing I use it for is to sync/copy music and APKs onto my Android phone & tablets.  When getting a new phone recently, I decided to use my old phone (HTC One M7) in my truck 100% of the time to use as a media server.  I've had a few BTSync folders set up on it for a while now so that I could easily add/sync a daily radio show, music, backup configs, and APKs to my phone from my primary home computer, but have also had the device on me and been able to charge it nightly.  In the new scenario, The device will charge while I'm driving, but not at any other time.  

If BTSync had Tasker integration, I would configure BTSync to only scan/check for folder changes when connected to my home's Wi-Fi and to have it not check (service not run) when not connected. Ideally, it would be nice to have the ability to be able to set how often it checks for sync based off of whatever Tasker trigger(s) used, but even a basic integration would be a great start.

New Customers

Based on responses I've seen, I firmly believe that adding this feature would not only make many current users happy, but bring in a whole new community of customers as the Tasker community would be all over this.  All you have to do is search Google Play for Tasker plugins to get an idea how big it's use it.

Thanks for reading!

• 1 month later...

I would like this too, although it seems like a workaround for Sync running and draining the battery (I have activated the Auto-sleep and battery saver, which seem to help).

Although I use Llama and also tried to find a way to control Sync to start on certain conditions (works) and close on other (doesn't work), an even better way would be if Sync had a built-in mechanism to wake up, sync, and then shut down on certain conditions ("Connected to any Wifi", "Connected to specific Wifis", "Day of week", "Time interval", "Charging" seem to cover most requests). I am fully aware that a selling point is "immediate sync", but considering the many scenarios Sync can be used, "immediate" is not always required.

Nevertheless, Llama and Tasker support would be a great feature!

Thanks!