Any Way To Limit Only To Lan?

jctodd

I have a workgroup set up with BT Sync.  We've noticed our internet bandwidth is getting bogged down, and after eliminating all options, we're certain it's Sync.  All the computers we want to sync to are on the local network.  I'm not sure how to pull this off, but is there a way to limit Sync to only the local network, and not do an outbound broadcast?

Probably a stupid or naive question, but thought I'd ask.  BT Sync is working perfectly for our needs, but our internet connection is shoddy, so we need to eliminate any unnecessary traffic.

On each machine, open BT Sync, go to the "Folders" tab, right-click the folder, and click "Show folder preferences". (Alternatively, modify your `sync.conf` on each machine accordingly, if you know what I'm talking about)

Disable the following:

• Use relay server when required (use_relay_server)
  • Use tracker server (use_tracker)
  • Search DHT network (use_dht)

Enable the following:

• Search LAN (search_lan)

This should limit BT Sync traffic to machines within the LAN.

Confirm that network traffic isn't leaking by enabling Debug logging and tailing the log file. Don't forget to turn off logging when you're done.

Feedback on this advice is welcome.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Cerberus97,

I would also give a try to "lan_use_tcp" advanced preference, which might affect your speed. Please also let me know how much files do you have in your sync folder and how big are they (in general, sync of huge amount of small files reduces speed significantly).

Hi TimCinel,

I'm having the same problem. I just did what you said (disable, etc)... and It is not working. The speed within the LAN is only 100kb.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

I seem to be having this problem, too.  Last night I tried transferring a large 3.7GB file to see if throughput was closer to gigabit or closer to 500kbps (it was always 950Mbps+ with Acronis local sync or Synctoy).  After an hour, the files didn't appear on the other side.  Du Meter (shows throughput in/out of nic) shows that when BT Sync is running, I'm uploading 200-900Kbps of data to about 20-25 IP's.  When I close BT Sync, it stops.

I turned on the debug and plan on investigating it further this evening.

All 7 of my folders for LAN sync are configured as instructed:

Disable the following:

• Use relay server when required (use_relay_server)
  • Use tracker server (use_tracker)
  • Search DHT network (use_dht)

Enable the following:

• Search LAN (search_lan)

Cerberus97,

I would also give a try to "lan_use_tcp" advanced preference, which might affect your speed. Please also let me know how much files do you have in your sync folder and how big are they (in general, sync of huge amount of small files reduces speed significantly).

Hi RomanZ,

I'm yet to start use of this software properly but I have a limit on download/upload per month. So if the syncing is done through LAN and not via internet that would be great.  

What I tried today was that I turned on the modem but I took out the internet cable, and I was still able to sync files between my pc and my tablet. So this sync does seem to be using LAN and not the internet.

I'll report once i do the logging.

Regards,

Cerberus97

Cerebrus97,

Please see TimCinel's response above on how to limit traffic to LAN only. When you disable tracker, DHT and relay server the only thing BTSync needs in Internet is update server which it contacts to check updates.

Note, that if you have just only peer in LAN which contacts outside world and there would be another peer with same secret - it will let all other peers in LAN know the location of outer peer and they will connect outside.

Note, that if you have just only peer in LAN which contacts outside world and there would be another peer with same secret - it will let all other peers in LAN know the location of outer peer and they will connect outside.

Hi RomanZ,

Sorry didn't understand this part.... got your previous statement and I have enabled it. I just have to start its use which I will as soon as I buy a tablet to go along with my PC.

Regards,

Cerberus97

Cerberus97,

Let me elaborate. If you have 3 peers (A, B, C) syncing inside network, 2 of them (B and C) are forced "net only" settings, i.e. no tracker/DHT/relay, while one (A) have default settings. In such setup they are going to sync fine on LAN.

Now 4th PC (D) with the same secret appears in the internet. A and D are going to "see" each other thru tracker. And A can communicate B and C in LAN. A will tell B and C about D's existence and IP, so B and C will leech data from D as well.

So if you want to limit some peers to LAN, you have to limit ALL of them.

Cerberus97,

Let me elaborate. If you have 3 peers (A, B, C) syncing inside network, 2 of them (B and C) are forced "net only" settings, i.e. no tracker/DHT/relay, while one (A) have default settings. In such setup they are going to sync fine on LAN.

Now 4th PC (D) with the same secret appears in the internet. A and D are going to "see" each other thru tracker. And A can communicate B and C in LAN. A will tell B and C about D's existence and IP, so B and C will leech data from D as well.

So if you want to limit some peers to LAN, you have to limit ALL of them.

Hi RomanZ,

Thanks I understand what you mean. However, I will be using this only on two devices, one my stationary desktop and other my mobile tablet.

So I don't think that will be a problem. I don't plan on sharing the 'secret' with anyone.

Regards,

Cerberus97

P.S. Sorry was out of town last 2 days.

• 1 year later...

Good afternoon, my question is related to the topic but is not the same, i work as an IT on an enterprise and what i would like to know if there is a way to block Bittorrent Sync not to leave the LAN, because the data i am planing to sync is sensitive for my employers so they are afraid that an employee can sync the data out of the LAN, is there a way?? is it possible to block it so the data won't leave the LAN?? i would really appreciate any help, thanks in advanced. 

@rov3rman

No simple solution for that. Sync uses random port so you can't simply block certain port. As all peers act as both servers and clients - you'll need to block both incoming and outgoing connections.

The most straightforward way would be to proxy all internet connections. Sync can use proxy, although it requires support of "CONNECT" method and if proxy refuses - it can't go out.

The second solution would be to use some smart traffic analysis tool - there are ways to find some common patterns in Sync packets and block it.