Reboots Control4

gauss256

Control4 say BTSync is putting "bad packets" on the network? :wacko:

Whilst Sync does generate a lot of network traffic, it doesn't generate continuous streams of "bad packets"!

All software that relies on a network connection sends/receives the odd bad packet of data from time to time - not intentionally, but sometimes packets can become lost/corrupt in transit.

I would say the ownness is just as much on Control4 to make their software more tolerant to "bad packets" of data!

Anyway, in the meantime, you could consider limiting the bandwidth (rate) in Sync to reduce the amount of traffic on your network - this may then allow other software to utilize your network more

• 7 months later...

I worked around it rather than resolving it. Bittorrent and Control4 pointed their fingers at each other and it didn't seem like a resolution would come from either of them. So I set up a separate subnet and put all the Bittorrent machines on one subnet and Control4 on the other. That isolates the Bittorrent broadcast traffic (which is voluminous) from Control4. Same principle as putting two fighting children into their own rooms.

I suspect I could have also worked around it by turning of Search LAN on all my shared folders.

@gauss256

I'll be happy to hear what sort of bad packets are ruining Control4. I suspect that they cannot process well either UPnP / PMP packets or Sync Discovery over multicast. You can try disabling UPnP in Sync to see if this helps Control4, or - LAN discovery to check out the same.

Control4 didn't give me any details and they didn't seem very interested in investigating. They based their conclusion on some log files they collected from my system that I don't have access to.

Maybe if Bittorrent contacted Control4 directly the right people could be put together to sort it out. I'd be willing to do experiments on my network to provide data if it's hard to reproduce.

• 1 month later...

I suspect it was the frenzy of multicast packets on port 3838 that bothered Control4. I see that the network traffic from BTSync is much quieter now.  I put one of my computers back onto the Control4 subnet a couple of days ago and everything seems stable.

So I think (hope) that this problem is resolved now.