Android Sync Seems Is Somewhat Ignored By Other Apps

blozo

Hi,

I use btsync on my smartphone and on my wife's one. Both run Android 2.3.x. I use automatic synchronization and that works fine.

Something weird happens after synchronization: if I look at the synchronized folders using a file manager app, I can see that changes have been propagated correctly, but apps like gallery and media player do not see them. I need to restart the phone to get new songs or images listed. Even worse, deleted images are still thumbnailed and survive reboots!

It does not seems to be a btsync bug: files have been transferred. But if I add or delete files using the file manager or a PC connection, other apps react correctly.

Maybe there is some kind of event that should be called after synchronization?

Hi blozo,

Indeed, there is an event in Android platform which asks Gallery to rescan all folders for a new media. By default it is caused by phone reboot or storage mount (like, inserting SD card). BTSync can't trigger this event as it will result in high power consumption on Android. You can either mount/unmount your SD or look for some application in Google Play which can trigger Gallery rescan on demand.

I use btsync on my smartphone and on my wife's one. Both run Android 2.3.x.

Android 2.3 Gingerbread? ouch.

RomanZ is right to worry about the excessive power consumption of Android's Media Storage process--it was running once or more per day on my phones, and didn't require reboots or storage mounts, which I guess is a feature of 4.x. I could manually kill the process, but it would always return soon enough until it was satisfied. I'm syncing 16GB/24k files on my phone, and my best guess is that BitTorrent Sync was causing enough file changes so that Media Storage would run and eat up 20-30% of my battery. My current solution: I've frozen Media Storage so that it never runs at all. I hardly miss it, but this solution won't suit everyone. Is it plausible that syncing a lot of stuff causes Media Storage to run more often?

Android 2.3 Gingerbread? ouch.

Why there is always someone that comes out with such silly comments?

Well, back to the point. Thank you RomanZ for your response. Those errors are able to survive reboots, but following your suggestion I tried a simple app that triggers the rescan and it works.

I don't know if my issue is widespread or not. Anyway, if I take a picture, it gets added to the gallery, so other apps do the update. I think that btsync too should request the update, maybe avoiding more than a request per hour or so.

Meanwhile, I'm happy with this manual workaround.

Thank you again for your support.