Computers On Lan Don't See Each Other

JohnHHoward

I'm a new BitTorrent Sync user, although I have tried and used many other sync solutions over the years.  I'm impressed by the functionality and ease of use.

Now I am trying to sync folders between my desktop and a laptop.  I need to sync only when both machines are on the same LAN.  I've defined folders on both machines with the same secret.  But no matter what I try, the sync apps on the two machines never even see each other.  Nothing shows up in the devices display or history, and no files get transferred.

I've tried:

* turning off firewalls on both machines

* using the standard folder properties (use relay server and tracker server)

* using predefined hosts with local IP addresses

* using predefined hosts with local hostnames

* changing the listening ports

The documentation doesn't say what port should be used for a predefined host.  I assume it is the listening port defined in that host's sync preferences.

By the way, I've also set up a (different) folder to sync between an Android phone and the desktop (and laptop).  This even provides an indirect path between the laptop and desktop.  So it is possible to reach both machines from the phone.  I think this eliminates many possible problem areas.  But the BT Sync apps on the two machines still don't see each other.

At this point I'm out of ideas.  Any suggestions?

I've tried:

* turning off firewalls on both machines

* using the standard folder properties (use relay server and tracker server)

* using predefined hosts with local IP addresses

* using predefined hosts with local hostnames

* changing the listening ports

...and what have you tried on your actual router itself?! - that may well be where your issues resides! (is UPnP enabled for your router?)

The documentation doesn't say what port should be used for a predefined host. I assume it is the listening port defined in that host's sync preferences.

That's correct

At this point I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Instead of using pre-defined hosts, try using the "Search LAN" per-folder option and see if you can establish direct LAN connections between your devices that way

Thanks for the reply.  I have indeed left "Search LAN" checked all along.

I'm trying to connect directly through my household LAN, so I don't understand what UPnP, or anything else in my router, should have to do with this issue.  I tried unchecking "Use NAT UPnP port mapping" in the general preferences, with no positive effect, although it did have the negative effect of disabling sync with my Android phone.

[ BTW, I live in the USA, not China, for what it's worth. ]

John Howard

BT Sync servers are blocked in China, so without manual configuration of hosts it doesn't work.

Just to be sure. Are you using the same secret on both machines?

If not that, there is something really wrong with something that is hard to figure out without having access to your computers.

I do hope you'll get it to work.

Desktop:  192.168.0.8, listening port 30001

Laptop:    192.168.0.121, listening port 30000

subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both of them

at the moment using explicit IP addresses, not names, in folder properties/predefined hosts

fwiw, the laptop is using WiFi through my home router.  I've tried wired Ethernet too, no difference.

I did try to enable debugging, but then forgot to look at the log.  Now I just did.  I don't see any messages in the system log containing the strings "sync" or "BT".  Where should I be looking?

(irrelevant material deleted - my apologies for including it.)

Thanks for continuing to help me with this.

John Howard

"2/10/14 4:53:44.238 PM Aviator[1402]: CGContextSetCompositeOperation: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context  and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update."

This is certainly interesting but I'm not sure it is relevant to the network issue, and there are too many messages in the log to search it.

Hmm... this sounds more like an issue with a system library on your computer that Sync requires - what OS are you using?