Feature Request: Revert The Ui

soeno

I'm trying not to ramble on this one. I'd essentially like the ability to choose between the two UIs... Perhaps via a registry setting, or something similar.

Here's what I don't like about the new UI:

1) It's pretty big. Not sure why it needs to use up 1/4 of an HD display with a lot of wasted whitespace and oversized fonts.

2) It hides all the details we geeks like to see by default.

3) Resizing columns is buggy.

4) I'm not a big fan of the circular progress bars. Would rather have an actual bar, or just a number as an option.

5) The UI can no longer be read by screen readers for accessibility. This prevents one of my good friends from using it.

Here's what I like about the new UI:

1) I like the introduction of the ETA, but it is really, really inaccurate. You probably need to do a median filter on the results of this one.

2) I like the colours and the flattened style.

But otherwise I love sync. I use it to manage deployments across several data centres and home for synchronising media across tablets and my media server , and it all (mostly) just works. Just slightly disappointed in the last revision. 

Cheers,

Soen

Edited by soeno

Agreed with all except liking the colors/flattened style: I intentionally don't use Windows 8 and the "flat" style looks extremely odd to me.

I much prefer the native UI elements in the Windows version (e.g. tabs, checkboxes, menus, etc.).

I miss the "total" download/upload speed indicators at the bottom of the Windows version, proper tabs, and the various geeky information (e.g. "Transfers" is now gone).

1.4.x looks promising, but I dislike the major UI changes.

Same here. I want the native UI back please. And just to be clear... No, I won't be happy if you improved the new UI with the features from the old UI.

Agreed with all except liking the colors/flattened style: I intentionally don't use Windows 8 and the "flat" style looks extremely odd to me.

I much prefer the native UI elements in the Windows version (e.g. tabs, checkboxes, menus, etc.).

It doesn't look at all like Windows 8. "flat" isn't the only characteristic, sharp corners are as well. This new UI has rounded corners everywhere.

+1 

want a nice, small, informative UI along the lines of the 1.3 OS X GUI. 

It should look native, but I guess with QT it could really be cross-plattform. Should even be easier to maintain than maintaining an ugly CSS/JS monster that needs to wok with different browser engines on all systems....

Pity. The old, native interface was great.

One advantage of a web interface is that it's easier than before to make the program run as a service on Windows. Willing to sacrifice the native UI for that... although I suspect the primary motivation was that it's just a lot less work to develop a single web interface for a multi-platform app.

• 4 weeks later...

The new interface is complete garbage. Its laggy, counter-intuitive and missing options (such as removing a pending approval folder).

The html driven interface is slow, the mouse jumps around in the new settings and its more difficult to see at a glance what is going on. Having a sub-menu of advanced under settings makes no sense. I also miss the "real" advanced options that used to show up like my disk writes information.

I dont know what was going on with this version but I feel that its a gigantic step backwards for an otherwise amazing application. I miss 1.3

I 100% agree. The UI now takes up more than the width of my widescreen to tell me less information. The old UI needed some refinement and a bit of reorganization, but this dumbed down ipad UI is useless and annoying. I really don't understand this trend toward making everything inefficient and underpowered for the sake of looking stylish for the people that don't even know how to use this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally installed the newest version of Sync and came to the conclusion that the UI is now in a browser?! WHY?! I tried to find some words for it but is just sucks bigtime. I hate it, point.

So what can we do? Is there a possibility to give people a choice? That you can use the normal windowed interface or the browser-based version?

I hope this will be fixed soon. I will go and find a way to go back to 1.3.109 in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...