Backup, Never Sync!

degarb

I just want to add a one or more folders to backup on home computer.  I never, ever, ever, ever, want to sync!!!!!   When I delete a file on android, it always should stay on computer.

Syncing is for idiots. For example, in the 1990's, we could go back into our computer and look at every appointment and note for last ten years of our life.  This is a very powerful, valuable $$$$ tool.  But syncing looses this ability.  To push forward in time, we must clear out finished projects.  Syncing, true syncing, deletes forever the record and knowledge of the past.  

Anyway, I followed all instructions, qr code, etc.  I chose a directory to sync. It does not!!!!  Instead, it creates a sub directory to sync called bit sync .    WTH?  This is not what I want to do!  I specifically speced out a directory, instead, it is making and syncing a sub directory.  Then, like, an idiot, it syncs!  It doesn't backup to home computer!!!  I delete file on android, it deletes it on the computer!

How do I 1. point it to an existing directory (I don't want it to create a sub) 2. backup this directory on my home computer.  Backup, for Heaven sake, no sync!

Don't get me wrong budy. But if you really do not want to sync but backup, don't you thing a tool called "sync" might not exactly be what you are looking for?

As to the first point you called "1" but raised as a second topic: Target directory.

I have absolutely no clue what's going on with your device. I disabled "Simple mode" in "Settings" on my android device and here the selected folder is used just as I expected it to be.

What about those mobile folders that are distinctively mentioned as "backup"? Are they just misspelled and "sync" as well? Then I would suggest you to go to the trouble shooting forum and call it ab bug.

I just want to add a one or more folders to backup on home computer.  I never, ever, ever, ever, want to sync!!!!!

The clue is in the name of the software, it's BitTorrent SYNC, not BitTorrent BACKUP. :P

However, consider adding your voice to this thread over in the Feature Request Forum, where users have requested traditional "backup"-style capabilities for Sync.

The clue is in the name of the software, it's BitTorrent SYNC, not BitTorrent BACKUP. :P

However, consider adding your voice to this thread over in the Feature Request Forum, where users have requested traditional "backup"-style capabilities for Sync.

I am not totally convinced that you are right.   If you set to read-only, would you get a backup?

If you are right, then you are implying you know of a single backup program other than this one?  There is not any, other than Chetah sync, which 1. cost money for backup of more than one folder. 2. cannot backup over the cell network.  3. probably platform dependant.

In the real world, it makes zero sense (hasn't ever made, since sync was invented) to ever have a true sync.  No sense, for a true one.  One would always rather archive rather than delete on destination computer. One would always like to have previous versions of replaced files on destination.   Syncing will cost you thousands of dollars per decade over a backup.  You might not think so, but it will.  Even google drive is not a true sync (nothing is ever deleted in truth (i have dug up docs that were deleted a year earlier), and old versions are kept.  (Google drive is more an invisible backup hub, with peripheral computer sync)

Most importantly, if a program can sync, then that program has the code for backup (just skip the file removal/ second direction part of the code with a goto, triggered by a variable set in the ini or prefs.  

Certainly, this program has potential.  On first use, a newcomer can tell the author(s), haven't ironed out the seemly useless confusing stuff in the gui.  Perhaps, there is a backup ability (via turning off write, or such) that you just do not, yourselves, know about.

Edited by degarb

I am not totally convinced that you are right.   If you set to read-only, would you get a backup?

Yes - to a point, but it's not a "traditional backup".

A "traditional backup" implies that files are transferred to a destination where they stay even if they are they deleted at source.

A Read-Only sync isn't quite the same - if files are deleted from source, they are also deleted from destination - which is why I pointed you in the direction of the feature request for a "none-deleting node"

If you are right, then you are implying you know of a single backup program other than this one?

There are a number of dedicated "backup" software titles available. As I say, Sync is primarily aimed at file synchronization, rather than file backup.

Yes - to a point, but it's not a "traditional backup".

A "traditional backup" implies that files are transferred to a destination where they stay even if they are they deleted at source.

A Read-Only sync isn't quite the same - if files are deleted from source, they are also deleted from destination - which is why I pointed you in the direction of the feature request for a "none-deleting node"

There are a number of dedicated "backup" software titles available. As I say, Sync is primarily aimed at file synchronization, rather than file backup.

Thanks.

I have looked at every category in playstore.  All available apps (that I saw) are a backup to a cloud (minus chetahsync - which has the shortcomings that I listed).  I do not wish to be cloud dependent for the rest of my life.  I think this folly. Could write a book on it, entitled, "Too Big to Fail. Why cloud backup reliance, is stupidity."  Not that cloud backup is something I won't take advantage of.  I just won't use it as my first line of backup.  I use cloud as backup of my two main backups.  Ditto, on cloud navigation.

Hey there.

Actually, if you know how to do backup better than everyone else, maybe you should make a business out of it and sell your own product?

But first things first. Did you notice the archiving feature? The checkbox is called "Store deleted files in folder archive" on your desktop device. Keep in mind that this is *not* a local backup thingy for your desktop computer. It just creates a copy of your lokal files whenever a remote peer sends you a modified version. The goal is to prevent remote peers to cause data loss on your local data. Default is keeping those archive files for 30 days. There is a config parameter to adjust that time but I don't know if you can set it to "forever". Look for "sync_trash_ttl". Unfortunately that's not to be configured per individual share, so when you make your local computer use that setting it goes for every share with the same value.

Currently there is no user interface for managing archived data. Might be worth a feature request to create something user friendly. Currently you have to browse the archive folder manually and fetch your prefered file version. I'm not completely sure if there alreay is a feature request for that, but could be nice to "right click on any file in sync folder, click on 'show archive' and receive a list of versions and corresponding archive dates". In addition, maybe bittorrent could think about storing deltas for archive. Currently the archive feature costs lot of space if used heavily. I guess that's something to go in the payed pro branch of sync version 2: Advanced archive handling. I still troubled which features would be woth paying, but that sounds like a real candidate.

I just tried the sync default camera backup. My current phone is still new, so there are only 50 pictures on it currently. All synced fine. Then I deleted 10 of them because they were only to clarify camera anyway. They now are gone from my android but still on my computer. So the "backup" feature of the android sync version does what you want at east if it comes to delete files. Modifying files should make use of the .sync/Archive folder, too.

Maybe you could go for some cascaded solution to achieve your backup goal. Use sync to synchronize your mobile phone with your desktop computer as a first step, then use an ordinary backup tool for backing up your desktop computer as a second step. That doesn't give you "any time granularity" for modification steps. But that's not too important I think because ordinary backups of your desktop computer lacks that as well. So only having daily snapshots or something is the usual way to go. Actually that's exactly what I do without even thinking about it. The reason is the simple fact of backuing up my computer regularely to a NAS device.

Regards,

Stephan.