Btsync Causing Hundreds Of Connections And Enormous Traffic

jochen

I always disable "Search DHT network". The only options I use are "Use tracker" and "use predefined hosts". I also want to avoid "use tracker", but then it becomes unreliable. Sometimes it works without tracker, but sometimes it does not detect clients that are predefined hosts. That's strange.

What are these "relay servers"? Can every node become a relay server? How can I control whether my node becomes a relay server?

@jochen

Even if you enabled DHT once - you can still receive a number of connections. The easiest way is to make sure it is disabled is: disable it for all folders, restart Sync and change listening port.

Answering your question on relay servers - yes, in ideal environment every your peer is relay server - it both gets the data and seeds it to other peers. Although, due to lack of public IP addresses many networks are hidden behind NAT devices and they can't simply receive incoming connection. Sync has a number of ways to overcome NATs, though it might happen that all of them fail. When it happens - Sync can't establish direct connection from peer to peer and has to ask Relay server to transmit data.

Relay has public IP - therefore it always can be reached by all peers, though it's bandwidth is extremely limited. Also, Relay function is very primitive - it simply retransmits packets from one connection to another. As it does not have access to your keys - it cannot see traffic content (Sync encrypts external traffic).