Updatesecreterror Undefined Error On Updating Key

alexlittle

I have BtSync (v1.4.111) running on my laptop and connected to various other machines for syncing data. All was working fine until quite recently (a few weeks ago) and now the syncing has stopped with some of the peers.

My (Android) phone is syncing fine, but with 3 other remote peers (virtual servers), it's not syncing.

On my local laptop (through the webbased GUI), I can see the status with the green tick mark against these folders, however on the remote peers (also using v1.4.111), the status is shown as 'no peers'. This was all working fine for several months, it's only recently that it's stopped working.

When it stopped syncing, I tried updating the key (on the remote peer), and then entering the updated key on my local laptop. However, when I enter the new key, I get the message ''updateSecretErrorundefined" - this happens when I try to update either the read/write or read only key.

So I'm a little lost as to what is going wrong here, and any help would be much appreciated. I assume the issue is that now I've updated the key it's unable to connect to the remote peer (as key no longer valid), but, with the error I can't enter the updated key.

Let me know if more info is needed (logs etc) to see what the issue may be.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex,

updateSecretErrorundefined - this is just a non-human readable error that remained in Sync 1.4 for web ui, it's fixed in Sync 2. and it actually says "Please enter a valid Read & Write key". So most likely the problem is that the key is not valid. Can you please tell us where did you get the new key and what is it, I mean did you create it yourself or ket Sync generate it for you? 

Thanks for your reply Helen,

For the new key, I used the 'create new key' option on the remote peer. I then copied this and tried to enter on my local laptop - which is when I got the error.

If it;s fixed in v2 - then guess my best option is just to upgrade... will have a go doing that.

Cheers,

Alex

alexlittle,

Sorry, we were not able to reproduce it, and the newly created key was accepted. 

The only case when the key was not accepted if the folder had RW key, and one updates it with a new RO - is it what you were doing? Only RW key can be accepted when updating.

Under "it's fixed" I meant the error message itself, not the invalid key usage. Besides, Sync 2.0 doesn't use the keys unless you share classic 1.4 type folders. Sync 2.0 is pretty different from  Sync 1.4 so you might want to learn about it before updating from this guide