Latest Desktop build 2.3.5

RomanZ

Dear community,

Sync 2.3.5 is now available. You can get it via direct links below, via official download page or via "Check now" button. Build is not yet available via auto-update.

Direct Download Links:

A list of what's new, improved, changed, and fixed in this version is available in the change log.

Latest Android build is now also available via direct link: 2.3.5 APK
Latest Raspberry Pi package is available via direct link: 2.3.5 DEB

Known issues and peculiarities:
- Linux users please note: starting from 2.3.0, Sync now creates and uses storage folder (.sync folder) in current directory, not next to binary

- Upgrading from 2.3.0-2.3.3 may remove your identity and folders. It is strongly advised that you backup your storage folder prior to upgrade to 2.3.5.

On ‎17‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 6:08 PM, RomanZ said:

(...)

- Upgrading from 2.3.0-2.3.3 may remove your identity and folders. It is strongly advised that you backup your storage folder prior to upgrade to 2.3.5.

Could it be true? Version not 1 beta, this is 2.3.5 and such issues are possible? I am going to buy BT Sync for my company, but reading it I am not sure it is a serious product...

On 17.3.2016 at 6:08 PM, RomanZ said:

Hey there.

Could you elaborate a bit on that removed identity folder situation?

Is it a bug of the 2.3.5 version, so waiting for a 2.3.6 or later release hopefully does not suffer from that?
Or is it a general thing about handling that identity folder content which might or might not drop that folder, no matter if I jump to 2.3.5 now or wait for an additional release?

Regards,
Stephan.

Stephan,

It is bug in way 2.3.0 ... 2.3.3 shuts down before upgrade. So it is tied to the version you update from, not the version you update to. Therefore it can't be addressed for people who already has 2.3.0 ... 2.3.3 installed. Only with backing up storage folder.

As soon as you are on 2.3.4 or newer, issue should not popup ever.

On 21.03.2016 at 11:09 AM, RomanZ said:

@donmez Ok, we'll fix it.

@abramq Unfortunately, some issues are rather sophisticated and manage to bypass our QA testing. We constantly improve our set of tests to keep such issues covered, although keeping in mind vast variety of devices and OS Sync supports, it is hardly possible to cover everything.

Ok, please explain me

1. "Remove folders" means to to remove folders from GetSync app configuration or remove folders with all of its contents (finally from all connected devices)?

2. Is there in GetSync app "autoupdate" function? I wonder, because if it is there, and if it is switched on - removing folders can happend "invisible" for users?

@abramq

1. They are only removed from Sync, not deleted from HDD. All data stays intact. The main drawback here is that one has to re-add folders manually, taking key / link from other peers. It's about inconvenience, not about data loss.
  2. Yes, there is auto-update. Although, we push there only those builds we are highly confident in. Usually, when new build gets released, we provide it to website, forum and "Check now" button only.

27 minutes ago, RomanZ said:

@abramq

1. They are only removed from Sync, not deleted from HDD. All data stays intact. The main drawback here is that one has to re-add folders manually, taking key / link from other peers. It's about inconvenience, not about data loss.
  2. Yes, there is auto-update. Although, we push there only those builds we are highly confident in. Usually, when new build gets released, we provide it to website, forum and "Check now" button only.

This is good news. Thank you for clarifying it.

On March 20, 2016 at 2:22 PM, abramq said:

Could it be true? Version not 1 beta, this is 2.3.5 and such issues are possible? I am going to buy BT Sync for my company, but reading it I am not sure it is a serious product...

Yes it's true. This product has been a damn disaster for me. Pre 2.0, it was fine. Then 2.0 came, and they forced "identities" rather than just folder keys. I paid for the upgrade, wanting to support the company, but now somehow I have two different identities. Also when I upgraded my FreeBSD FreeNAS instance to 2.3.X, yep it totally forgot the identity and shared folders so I had to re-configure BTSync from the start. Now one of my folders has an extra layer of nesting in there that I don't feel like cleaning up, for fear that I'll somehow create a 3rd identity. I.E. On my Mac, my files are Sync-Folders->Misc->{Files}. On my NAS, they're Sync-Folders->Misc->Misc->{Files}.

The best part about the old btsync was the simplicity of the folder keys. Yes. I know these are still supported, but these are the old way, and it's not the direction the company is moving. This identity system is garbage.

• RomanZ unpinned this topic