[Solved] BTSync randomly deletes files

alonjr

Setup

I have the latest BTSync running on two headless-linux devices.

The two devices are linked; Device A is located in my home while device B is a virtual server in some datacenter.

Device A generates approx. 50 images (100Kb each) on a regular basis (45 mins on average) and stores those under a new sub-directory; At the same time, it creates a static symbolic link which points to the new images directory just created.

Issue Observed

All files are synced from device A to B as expected. However very often, the files that were added are unexpectedly removed from device A and device B. This typically occurs anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes after the files completed syncing from device A to B.

Question

I'm looking for suggestions on how to trace which device is triggering the deletion of the files and for what reason?

To trace down the "deleter", look at History. On headless machines that will he history.dat in storage folder - plain text file, search for "Removed file ....." line - this is how it'll be written on local peer who did remove the file, or "Peer name removed file ...", if the file was initially deleted on remote peer.

Also, look into archive (/your_sync_share/.sync/Archive). The peer who did not delete the file, but rather got it synced from remote, will keep the file in Archive. 

To check for a reason - there might be a number of. For a targeted analysis can you please submit logs from both peer right after it happens and indicate which files got deleted. 

But apparently, Sync gets a notification about file being deleted from its location = no longer being there. The trick with symlinks is not that clear though, I suppose this link is somewhere outside sync share? 

Hello,

just to said that i had the same issue. i'm preparing logs to send you, and i don't know if it's the cause, but i had to temporarly eject an usb drive, and on the second computer, it start to delete all files and put in archive.

Now it sync again, some files are just moved then others seems to sync again.

@zbigb69

As for USB drive - before unplugging it, make sure its indeed (!) ejected from the system. or quit Sync. Unsafe ejection can indeed lead to the problem: the files are no longer there (drive is missing), but it's still in file system, so Sync doesn't know about it being unplugged and starts thinking that files are deleted. 

On 10/5/2016 at 10:55 AM, Helen said:

@zbigb69

As for USB drive - before unplugging it, make sure its indeed (!) ejected from the system. or quit Sync. Unsafe ejection can indeed lead to the problem: the files are no longer there (drive is missing), but it's still in file system, so Sync doesn't know about it being unplugged and starts thinking that files are deleted. 

yes, it's what i did, but i opened a ticket to send you logs, becouse it's really strange.

thanks