no peers over school guest network

Larryb

0ur school network has tons of blocks and firewalls (I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what they are) so that I can only get the peers sporadically. Any ideas on how to connect more reliably?  Sometimes using a VPN helps, but not always. The issue is mostly with my Android connection. My laptop connection seems reliable.

Larry

A list of ports used by sync may be found here: https://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/204754759-What-ports-and-protocols-are-used-by-Sync-

...although, it's quite likely that your school has blocked all but a limited number of "common" ports (i.e. 80, 443, etc)

...so you'll need to convince your school to unblock/allow Sync through their firewall!

Larry,

how your mobile connects to the network when you're at school? Is it local WiFi (presumably same as laptop) or some 3G? If the latter, the connection will be going from outside of the LAN and most likely blocked. 
if there a chance to connect the phone to same Wi-Fi spot as laptop? or is laptop connected by wire? 

I'm using the school WIFI.  Other students have attempted to hack the network, so there are tons of security layers. 

Interestingly, my laptop connects to peers more reliably than my tablet, even though both are connected to the same WIFI.  Once, clearing the cache of the tablet made all the difference.  Other times, I would have no peers until I had the VPN up and running.  Other times, rebooting the tablet brought the peers up.  Often, I get peers first thing during the day.  However, I'm having trouble finding a pattern when I get the peers up, and when I can't.

I had this issue with the previous BT Sync as well.

Larry