Migrating to Resilio

Muther

Hey gang, 

This morning I was prompted to migrate to Resilio from BTSync 2.3.6 (378) on my Win 7 machines. I accepted the standard terms, not chosing to run as a service. Then, nothing happened.

Now BTSync is gone and opening Resilio via shortcut says "uninstall failed." Searching the forum I could find a similar post from September that was solved by Dan via TeamViewer. I checked app data/roaming and only Resilio is listed. The folder has 73 items including sync.dat and sync.dat.old.

How can I kick start this migration so it will finish without having to redo my shares?

I downloaded the installer, but I get the same result I did before. After accepting the Privacy agreement and hitting next, nothing happens. Open Resilio and pop up says, "Uninstall Failed."

I have my share folders and files, but I cannot open any version of the application and of course nothing is syncing. 

I hope if I can get the program installed I will still have my shares. I would not have updated otherwise. I'm stuck. I'm not even sure how I'd go about even starting fresh... I'm guessing delete everything BTSync/Resilio related... I'm waiting for a response because I bet it's just one file or reg setting that's holding up the party.

@all,

Screenshot of the "uninstall failed' error? 
were you prompted with "Your settings will be migrated" message as in this guide
What do you have in Control Panel - > Programs and Features -> Uninstall? BitTorrent Sync, Resilio Sync, nothing?

On 12/12/2016 at 7:54 PM, Muther said:

I checked app data/roaming and only Resilio is listed.

I don't think it's possible, cause folder BitTorrent Sync cannot be removed upon installation, It remains there. 

On 12/12/2016 at 7:54 PM, Muther said:

The folder has 73 items including sync.dat and sync.dat.old.

Do you have sync.2.3.6#### backup directory there? 

Please send the debug logs from storage (appdata/Resilio Sync) to support. 

@Muther, to get targeted support, please contact support team directly. Thank you. 

Helen,

I reinstalled the BTSync version I had before and all is working again. Maybe after the New Year I'll have the time to try again. I have several machines linked together, plus family shares that will be incredibly inconvenient if there are any snags. They are even less savvy than I am.

BTSync was listed in my installed programs list, but pointed at nothing when I attempted to uninstall. I was prompted with the window shown in the guide. I didn't see those instructions until I went hunting for what went wrong/what should I do now. I received the "un-install failed" error only if I tried to run Resilio, otherwise nothing happened. I did not see Bit Torrent Sync in my app folder, but I guess it is possible that I missed it. I will say I was a little distressed by not seeing it and relieved Resilio was there and had the sync.dat file. I used that file to get up and running again after reinstalling BTSync.

@Soren Bonefeld My shares are not located on C. C is an SSD drive, so all my share folders are on a different HDD. So, it supports your theory.

@Soren Bonefeld,
Your files will remain intact on your PC. And share location will not change.  
If you fear, you can remove the share from Sync, uninstall BitTorrent Sync and do a clean install of Resilio Sync, add the share back. 

@Muther,
ok, thanks. You can also just do a clean install of Resilio Sync. If you prefer to do migration, stop BiTorrent Sync (check with Task Manager), start Resilio Sync. before starting you can delete %appdata%\BitTorrent Sync\sync.pid file. Perhaps it's preventing uninstall.