Critically slow web GUI

mond

After migration from 2.3.7 (or so) to 2.4.4 its impossible to do any reasonable step to manage Resilio on NAS.
I use Resilio to mirror (Read Only) 4 folders from my Mac via router to NAS (Synology) via LAN. http://192.168.1.xxx:28888/gui/
Any  try to work with web GUI takes 10-20 min for each single step.

When I enter address above blank page with grey strip paper for a long time.
After that any popup window takes a while (if so) to display whole icons and checkboxes.
Some changes are not setuped after that anyway.
To add New Folder I didn't finish yet for more than hour (enter link, change directory, connect).
To open Peers for specific folder to check a list of current transferring files - impossible

Also on Mac Resilio very often shows zero of peers.

To speed it up I tried to leave only LAN and use "predefine host", reset IP cache https://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/204754349-Can-I-force-Sync-to-do-local-network-LAN-syncing-only-and-not-sync-via-the-Internet-
disable encryption and followed this tips https://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/204762319-How-can-I-improve-data-transfer-sync-speed-
But there are not changes in speed after that.

Thanks for your tips

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 19.48.11 copy.jpg

That problem may appear if the database files are too big so it takes time to load the UI. Check CPU and memory of your NAS while you see blank UI. 
Check the storage ( on Syno it's /usr/local/resiliosync/var/), and see the size of .db files.

Until all folders are loaded, this Sync instance will not appear as online peer on other devices. 

Can you check my files?
RAM 95%, Disk 99%, Network almost nothing.
High point on network is time when I hit reload page.
Reload took more than 30 min. now.

About .db file - there are a few of them - check the RTF file, sorted by date
(attach includes also list of all items in directory you could recognise better what is going on)

Note: just don't give you a wrong impression - I have zero command line knowledge, all was googled, :) sorry 

usr-local-resiliosync-var_ls.rtf

usr-local-resiliosync-var_ls_-lah_*db.rtf

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 18.23.28 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 18.22.43 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 18.27.00 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 19.02.22 copy.jpg

As you can also see from your last screenshot - almost all your folders are stuck on some files  - this is what is causing the CPU problem and long loading problem. Also, in the listing there are a lot of crash dumps. 

Make sure you have option "Overwrite any changed files" enabled for Read-only shares. 
For simplicity, reinstalling Sync on this NAS. If you want to investigate, please send the debug logs from it: sync.log and all its zip archive. You can use this guide to retrieve them.  

"Overwrite any changed files" - Yes I have.

Reinstall you mean Uninstall Package and Install, right?

Here is zip with sync.log and it's all zip archives.
sync.log is about 20MB, the rest 250MB, here is the link to download package

Link you provided refers to sent *.journal files, they are 1GB 24files (and 110 zip files about 0,5GB).

If you think it would be the best to clear all NAS (Synology) and sync from scratch I will do that.
It just took so long to sync a first time, so if there is chance to get it works again I will appreciate that support.

So your NAS has only 512 MB of RAM? To Sync all those folders and files (and you have pretty a lot of them with all those iPhoto library, Mail app Cache, etc) , almost all RAM is taken and this slows down things. 
So either increase RAM, or reinstall Sync (yes, I mean uninstall package and install it back. But I'm sure that sooner or later you'll face this problem again - RAM will get filled

OK. Reinstallation worked well and much faster then in March. Total size of files in "var" folder is 1.4GB (previously 3.8GB).
But as you said, the 512 MB RAM ... it was quite quickly filled. Only 27% is used by NAS (even Resilio is not running). After all sync RAM is used 88%.
DISK is in various situations from 27% to 100%.
Quite strange was that -less usage when indexing and 99% for "nothing" (syncing=0, indexing=0).

Any explanation what Resilio is doing?
Reorganizing data on disk?

Just today I noticed - Pause Resilio on NAS and Mac does not pause indexing itself, that is running like each 10 min.
Sync Schedule is Pro version feature, right?

Increase RAM is not possible with my Synology, if so I will have to buy new one.
Thank you for your help.

I'm having this problem too, synch-ing about 300Gb of data in a big folder.

Basically the sync never finishes and the whole Synology server crawls (I have 1Gb in it but I can't add more as it an un-upgradable version), with web based access taking 10 minutes at a time to get anything to run and the hard disk is constantly thrashing/swapping.

Could Resilio Sync be doing ridiculously large re-allocations as it indexes and on a system with limited memory and quite slow swapping to disk (plus slow memory in the first place because of memory compression in Synology's OS) and this just causing everything to crash to a halt?

17 hours ago, mond said:

Any explanation what Resilio is doing?
Reorganizing data on disk?

of course it's not reorgonaizind any data - it cannot do that. it does nothing. When it's indexing for the first time, it only builds database. Once it's built it's kept in RAM. That's why you see '99% for "nothing"'. It's not "nothing", it's just keeping the database open.

@dylan

ok, let's start from beginning: 
Check CPU and memory of your NAS. Check the storage ( on Syno it's /usr/local/resiliosync/var/), and see the size of .db files.
If you want to investigate, please send the debug logs from it: sync.log and all its zip archive. You can use this guide to retrieve them.   
or try reinstalling the package. 

"Reorganizing data" I meant some optimisation of segments on disc (like disc fragmentation) to later faster read/write on disc.

Because like now, even data are synced (Resilio on a Mac is paused), RAM is used nicely 65% (from process monitoring I can see "rslsync" use 230 MB of RAM.), but Disk is used 100% = Web GUI again lacks (like 10 mins) to display page.

So what Resilio does  at this time, that use the disk up to 100%?
Is it for indexing (read/write) that is not affected by "Pause"?

If this is the reason, is it possible to change period of indexing?
Thank you for help.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-27-at-11.04.35-copy.gif

Screen-Shot-2017-01-27-at-11.09.15-copy.gif

1 hour ago, mond said:

some optimisation of segments on disc (like disc fragmentation) to later faster read/write on disc.

Still, Sync does not do that. 

1 hour ago, mond said:

If this is the reason, is it possible to change period of indexing?

yes, Increase folder_rescan_interval in power user settings. See the guide here. If that does not help, send the logs to support again (please do not put them on forum for public access!!)  

I followed your link instruction, but two things happened:
- instruction doesn't mention "Restart" Reslilio to apply changes 
(that's what Resilio says when something was changed ons this list)
- when I restart Resilio, changes on the list are reset to default
(by "restart" I understand go to package centre on NAS and "Stop" Resilio package and "Run" package again)

Did I something wrong?
(The interval parameter that I tried was 43200 and 86400 - 12 and 24 hours).

run these:
cd /usr/local/resiliosync/var/ (verify that you're indeed in storage by running command ls - if you see all those settings.dat, db files, etc, you are) 
wget http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/support/script/btsync_edit_settings_w4.py
python btsync_edit_settings_w4.py settings.dat get folder_rescan_interval (you'll get your value if it's saved, or you'll get smth like 'no such parameter' if it's default). 
python btsync_edit_settings_w4.py settings.dat set folder_rescan_interval 4200
and check again with python btsync_edit_settings_w4.py settings.dat get folder_rescan_interval

... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'syncapp.bittorrent.com'

/usr/local/resiliosync/var$ wget http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/support/script/btsync_edit_settings_w4.py
--2017-02-01 13:53:42--  http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/support/script/btsync_edit_settings_w4.py
Resolving syncapp.bittorrent.com... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'syncapp.bittorrent.com'

It's real adventure for me as GUI user :) to hunt command lines.
But I got it ! :) Download script on Mac, copy to NAS (because it doesn't want to run from Mac directory) and than moved to "var" folder.

python btsync_edit_settings_w4.py settings.dat get folder_rescan_interval

And as you wrote ... Terminal wrote "Parameter "folder_rescan_interval" doens't exists in bencoded file settings.dat"
So I set interval to 86400 sec (24h)

python btsync_edit_settings_w4.py settings.dat set folder_rescan_interval 86400

And after that interval is set and kept also after Resilio "Restart". 
Thank you for help :)
Lets see if it will work.

Question is - is it a bug, that Resilio does not save changes?
(Resilio on Mac keeps changes I did in user preferences list.)

2 hours ago, dylan said:

I wonder if it was triggering a rescan before the previous rescan had finished?

No. Rescan starts, takes as much time as necessary (depending on the share size), finished, next share starts and finishes, and so on ......  when last share's done it's here when the "interval" starts counting 30000 seconds, next rescan starts .