Silly Slow Sync Speed over WAN

Tommmii

Hi all,

I've just installed BT Sync, while I love the idea I'm having a bit of a speed issue.

Here's my setup :

BTSync is freshly installed on 2 W7 computers. Sync is happening over WAN.

I used to sync manually using FTP, so both pc's have an existing fileset. Syncing is mainly for backup purposes, from 1 machine to the other, rarely the other way round.

BTsync is currently indexing on both machines, as I speak 330GB in 808 files, the folder actually contains 2.21TB in 5578 files over 435 subfolders. There's a while to go before indexing will be done I guess...

Indexing is eating some CPU cycles and memory, but nowhere near saturation. We're talking 30-50%.

While indexing is happening a file transfer has started, highest UP speed I've seen is 30kB/s. This is _very_ slow when compared to an FTP transfer which saturates the upstream link at 3.1Mb/s

This screenie clearly shows what I mean. In the graph you see BTSync transferring, then the graph ramps up as I start an FTP transfer.

So, the question is obvious : why is BTSync not reaching the same speeds as the FTP transfer???

Sorry if this post seems long-winded, I really would like this to work, as BTSync offers set-it & forget-it vs manual FTP syncing.

cheers,

Tom.

post-24824-0-97614200-1367328591_thumb.j

Transfers are definitely slow until indexing completes. I've seen this behavior often, even when indexing from SSD (though it was a bit less affected).

Unrelated but:-

I was recently running a "du" command on a folder that had ~ 20,000 1MB files on my laptop, and, it was slowed to a pulp, literally unusable (Hell, terminal took ~ a minute to load). This is on a laptop that can run the majority of games on medium settings at 120FPS ('3d' screen).

Morel of the story:- Hard-drives are terrible for quick access, however, are extremely cheap for long time storage of anything compared to HDDs, other than maybe large large databases/rainbow tables.

I'm going to assume that you're using WAN as a colloquial for wireless area network instead of it's correct abbreviation for wide area network -- assuming that, ensure that you have NAT turned on and correctly configured with universal plug and play.

I have Sync installed on a local instance of Raspberry Pi running via Cat5e and I've been able to transfer 8GB of information (limited by the size of the SD card) in less than 2 minutes.

Actually, when I write WAN, I do mean WAN. As in the opposite of LAN.

If I were talking about a wireless local network, that would have been WLAN.

Both machines are showing a direct connection to each-other (arrow icon in devices tab). I saw in other threads that this indicates NAT and/or UPNP are functioning properly.