Previous 1.3.x Sync For Android Wanted

Can anyone provide me with a link for the last 1.3.x version for Android? (I have a Nexus 7).

Sync on my Nexus 7 has auto updated to v1.4.36 and my computer running 1.3.109 on Windows XP is no longer syncing with it :angry:

Even after rebooting both Nexus 7 and computer neither is seeing the other.

Thanks.

I checked the previous download pages at http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.3.nn but I don't see any that include the Android app. And the devs don't want us to post "external" copies of the apk. If you're running a backup app, such as Titanium or Android Tuner, you can extract previous apk backups there. Otherwise, I guess you have to wait for the devs to put the Android apk on a download web page.

I just grabed BTSync 1.3.21.0 out of my lastest Titanium Backup cache (am I glad I keep 2 versions worth of back-log for each app).

Anyone who needs the APK for side-loading - PM me and we'll work out how I can get a copy to you. Seems that posting a link for the masses will only piss off the BT staffers.

(@BT staff: Instead of cracking down on your user base you should well better invest the time and effort to fix that crap asap - the "Windows BTSync renders the UI through IE" feature is something where I don't know if I should fall off my chair from laughing too hard or if I well better cry because you obviously just fired all your manly C++ coding monkeys and replaced them with HTML/JS/AJAX kiddies from a local elementary school. In my eyes you are currently damaging BTSync's reputation heavily).

Installing anything other than a PlayStore version, or something directly from Bittorrent is just not an option for me.     

Bittorrent is throwing their goodwill away every day these issues go unresolved.  Just a matter of time before users start "1-starring" the app in the PlayStore (the only way to warn other unsuspecting android users?). 

I have disabled 'upgrades' on my server and desktop, because of the Internet Explorer aspect, and the absolute ridiculousness of the Android upgrade.

@mikelock: I understand your concern about "could be bugged".

I can assure you that the APK is untampered and genuine... however... it's just an offer to help out, it's up to the individual to accept it or not.

Just to prove it's genuine:

602281a7f1b9c0e190b086f6280ddf5c *BTSync-1.3.21.0.apk <-- MD5SUM

f7e83ad051221f2b8efe587a4285d6180215a2d5 *BTSync-1.3.21.0.apk <-- SHA1SUM

If I would have modded the file by any means the checksums wouldn't match (with the original), and the signature would be broken as well (i.e. Play Store wouldn't bug you about "Update available").

@B.Jay  Thanks for the offer.  One of the moderators has swooped in on one of the earlier comments in this thread and suggested that "Promoting the download of BitTorrent Sync from non-official/non-recognized sources is not allowed" ,so I will wait for now.

If Bittorrent cannot resolve the situation that they created (quite a few complaints are coming into the forum)  there is no point in continuing to rely on their software - already some (moderators?) are  pointing out that Sync should not be relied on because it is in "beta".    

It should be trivial for Bittorrent to offer the previous version in the Playstore, the fact that they have not and the seeming lack of communication from the their staff regarding the common issues which are being raised in the forums and review comments in the Playstore does not bode well.

It should be trivial for Bittorrent to offer the previous version in the Playstore, the fact that they have not and the seeming lack of communication from the their staff regarding the common issues which are being raised in the forums and review comments in the Playstore does not bode well.

Exactly.

Links to previous versions for PC are readily available, so why not for android version too??

This 1.4.x update has cocked up big time.

Maybe GreatMarko can have a word in a developers "shell-like" and get an offical link provided to last 1.3.x?

Links to previous versions for PC are readily available, so why not for android version too??

This 1.4.x update has cocked up big time.

Maybe GreatMarko can have a word a developers "shell-like" and get an offical link provided to last 1.3.x?

Hi Mike, yes, official links to previous versions for the PC are indeed readily available.

However, not every Android build that's been released has had a corresponding "official" download link outside of (and in addition/parallel to) the Google Play store (and as for iOS builds, these have never been made available outside of the App Store!)

Having just trawled through previous releases, the most recent Android build I can find outside of the Google Play store that has an "official" download link is 1.3.11.0 (which was available to coincide with the desktop versions of Sync 1.3.67) and which may be directly obtained here.

UPDATE: As mikelock points out, a more recent Android build, 1.3.20 is available via this post.

However, please be aware that this now is an older Android build - it's likely not to be fully compatible with Sync 1.4, and may contain issues/bugs that were subsequently addressed in later Android builds.... basically, what I'm saying is that the link I provide above is for use at your own risk, and support isn't available for this now "obsolete" Android build.

Also, in terms of the development of Sync (which you may or may not care about) reverting to "older" builds is somewhat counterproductive. Obviously, yes, you need something that "works" - I get that, but also the developers need feedback and bug reports on the latest builds. If everyone reverts back to earlier versions it will likely take even longer for issues with the latest beta builds to be addressed! ...just a thought! :)

Edited by GreatMarko

it's likely not to be fully compatible with Sync 1.4... Also, in terms of the development of Sync (which you may or may not care about) reverting to "older" builds is somewhat counterproductive. Obviously, yes, you need something that "works" - I get that, but also the developers need feedback and bug reports on the latest builds. If everyone reverts back to earlier versions it will likely take even longer for issues with the latest beta builds to be addressed! ...just a thought! :)

Many thanks for that link.

As I can only run 1.3.109 on Windows XP, 1.4.x compatibility is a non-issue for me.

If in future I hear the 1.4.x Android version can "see" the 1.3.109 PC version, I might update android version give it another shot.

But I'm happy syncing with the 1.3.x versions that I've been using for months.

@GreatMarko  Thanks!  I have downloaded the older version.  

I understand that Bittorrent might not appreciate users wanting to downgrade to an earlier version, unfortunately for many users the latest 1.4 version has ceased to be an option.  In my case  it does not work at all (i.e no sync functionality and constant closing / auto-minimizing).   There is absolutely nothing counter-productive about discarding a non-functional tool.   My current choices are an older, potentially unreliable version, something else or nothing.   

------

Just found version 1.3.20 attached in this thread (uploaded by a BT staff member):

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/29527-non-google-apk-download-of-v1320/

(only 1 update behind the final 1.3 version).

I do regret rolling my devices back as I don't want to overdramatize my issues. I could live with the higher CPU usage on Linux for a while, but I'd first like to see what other Linux users report. But the old-overwrites-new issue--which I can't tell is due to one platform or the other, or some interaction between platforms--is a lot more discouraging. When I take the next bite of the apple, I'll try a clean re-install and re-sync from scratch on all devices simultaneously, with all data multiply backed up so that I can simply trash all new btsync installations without worry. That will be a lot of work, gathering all devices on one LAN for speed of initial sync, and then monitoring closely. So I'm going to stand pat with what works until at least the next update.

in terms of the development of Sync (which you may or may not care about) reverting to "older" builds is somewhat counterproductive. Obviously, yes, you need something that "works" - I get that, but also the developers need feedback and bug reports on the latest builds. If everyone reverts back to earlier versions it will likely take even longer for issues with the latest beta builds to be addressed! ...just a thought! :)

• 2 weeks later...