Remote Delete/encrypt Peer's Synced Folders

Clouseau

We use this a lot in our laptops, as usually your laptop has a risk to be lost or stolen.

It would be huge security add-on if you could remotely lock those synced folders by encrypting them temporaly until you recover your peer device.

If you are sure that you peer device has been stolen or totally lost => you want to secure your data by remotely deleting all data in Synced folders and deleta all secure keys in BTSync client!

No, you want to secure ALL your data. Not only those folders synced with BTSync and not only if the device happens to be online somewhen. Use some sort of full disk encryption (Bitlocker, TrueCrypt, whatever) and stop worrying about data in single apps.

Nope - Full disk encryption softwares does not protect against thefs where passwords has been stolen also! (seen that - been there) Thats why it's mandatory to have full remote control over synced data also over this BTSync system!

Newer heard of Social Engineering? That's the way to loose everything in the same time. And secondly - it's not allways against thieves - it's just for securing you data before something happends! Like - first remove all data from laptop - then let eployee "go" from job.

Really, your "Remote Delete" solution does NOT work.

If the thief steals for your data, he would take out the harddisk, make a copy, then try to mount it on his system to read it.

If he steals for your hardware, he would wipe out everything and install his system.

He would NOT try to use your system, figure out your passwords, run your applications, and be stupid at most, connect to the internet to allow you to trace him or remotely delete your data before he reads it.

You need to find a better way to protect your data, it could be use some encryption so even the thief gets your data they will have trouble to read it. Meanwhile, probably don't ask for a feature that does not work,

Newer heard of Social Engineering? That's the way to loose everything in the same time.

Okay. So how does a remote wipe function for one program protect against social engineering?

it's just for securing you data before something happends! Like - first remove all data from laptop - then let eployee "go" from job.

Either I provided the device for my employee, then it gets returned (no need for remote wipe), or it's his own device, then he surely would not want somebody deleting data at will on his device. And he may have already copied "my" data somewhere else.

And in both cases you have to change the BTSync key anyway, which is a problem that should be solved first, before we consider things like remote wipe/encrypt capabilities.

So as of now we have three use cases:

1. You lose your device by accident and someone finds it. Solution: Use disk encryption.

2. Someone invests criminal energy to steal your device. Solution: Use disk encryption with two-factor authentication. Remote wipe won't work because a criminal will know how to circumvent it (copy hard disk, start device offline).

3. Someone is using your data legitimately and you want it back at some point. There is no reliable technical solution for that.

Thanks a lot of this effort to say not needed!

But anyway - If I want to remote destroy my data I would like to have a possibility to do so - even here is a lot of besserwissers that says it's not needed. Why in hell I shopuld use BTSync at all if I have Diskencryption that solves everything?