Sync On Android Is Stalled (Maybe Can't Detect File Changes?)

Zcehtro

Hi. This is my second post to the forum. I like the app on my phone very much because it allows me to backup up automatically (on a scheduled basis thanks to Llama) most of my media files and a few data files.

Recently, I set up the app and desktop client to backup data file folders from a couple apps on my phone to my computer. These folders hold many JPG's. When the files arrive on my computer I shrink the images with third party programs. The timestamps are not changed, nor the EXIF if available. Then when I expect Sync to sync the images back to my phone it doesn't.

The Sync desktop client says that the folders are synced, but when I click on the peers, it shows a backlog of 200+ files waiting to send back to the phone, all JPG's. As for the app, the folders say "Receiving" but they're not, it just stays stalled without receiving the changed JPG's. Oddly tho, it shows transfer rates of 5-100 Bytes/s continuously never stopping, always between that range. In the end, none of the shrunk JPG's are being synced.

Images attached for better understanding:

http://imgur.com/a/kR6m2

Edited by Zcehtro

Zcehtro,

Do their size change after shrinking? If yes, try restarting Sync

Another thing to try: on PC in Command Prompt navigate to the folder with these jpg's and run command "copy /b * +,," (without quotes). This will 'touch' all your files and update the 'modified time' parameter. Don't do it if you need "modified" time unchanged!!!

And finally, aren't those third-party apps still preventing Sync from accessing files anyhow? 

If the problem remains, write to syncapp@bittorrent.com, send logs from *both* - PC and phone (for phone you need to send a new feedback and agree to attach logs). In the text of feedback, please put the link to this topic. 

• 4 weeks later...

I apologize for bumping an old post, I just recently found the time. To answer the questions and suggestions in order:

Do their size change after shrinking? If yes, try restarting Sync

Nope, they stay the same.

Another thing to try: on PC in Command Prompt navigate to the folder with these jpg's and run command "copy /b * +,," (without quotes). This will 'touch' all your files and update the 'modified time' parameter. Don't do it if you need "modified" time unchanged!!!.

I need to keep the timestamps unchanged for other procedures.

And finally, aren't those third-party apps still preventing Sync from accessing files anyhow?

Nope, they are fully moveable. I can even move them around manually from the file explorer.

If the problem remains, write to syncapp@bittorrent.com, send logs from *both* - PC and phone (for phone you need to send a new feedback and agree to attach logs). In the text of feedback, please put the link to this topic.

This I did just now. Sent from both the Windows desktop program and the Android app. Thank you very much for the quick response.

I recently found another bug that I'm sure is a tad related.

It's about Sync not finishing syncing a file and the file gets corrupted on all platforms where the file is synced. I hope my log files can reveal the cause for these two issues.

I think I'm having a similar issue since several weeks. I reported it in December and received an answer that this should be fixed in future updates, but there was no update for the Android app since November.

For me this happens (most of the time) when files changes to frequently.

@Zcehtro: Does it help if you follow these steps:

1) cut the files which are not syncing and paste them somewhere outside the synced folder

2) wait a few minutes

3) paste the files in the synced folder again

• 2 weeks later...

@all, 

write to syncapp@bittorrent.com, send logs from *both* - PC and phone (for phone you need to send a new feedback and agree to attach logs). In the text of feedback, please put the link to this topic. 

And please indicate which exactly file gets affected to ease searching it through logs. Thank you. 

@Helen,

is the cause for this bug already identified  by the developers? I was hoping, that the last update for the Android version will fix this issue, but it wasn't the case. Btsync won't go into sleep mode while it "tries" to sync again and again, which drains a lot of battery.

I already sent logs in December.

Hey there.

Are you up to that error and close to releasing something or do you need more logs for investigation?

I think i have the very same issue here.

My music lib is ~5000 tracks and ~500 folders that sum up to 28GB of size. 295 of those files (2.85GB) don't get synced corretly. There are files on my mobile phone, but their revision isn't the latest one. "Touching" the files on one of my computers caused my other Linux and Windows nodes to realign but my mobile phone still shows the version from a couple of weeks ago.

File system on my mobile phone is perfectly writable. I still have 30GB of space left and creating folders and files works just nice.

Even creating new files on my android phone and having them synced to my computers works nicely.

My Android is a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact running plain sony Android 4.4.4, no root.

Target device is my external MicroSD card.

So, should I send in some more logs on this or do you just know what's wrong and only need some time for fixing?

Regards,

Stephan.

@all,

You may already test it on Alpha It can be installed and used simultaneously with Sync 1.4 (there is no need to uninstall 1.4). But if you previously and an Alpha 2.0 installed, this one should be removed. 

!!! Please, use Alpha only with some test folders and files!!!

Please let me know about the results either in PM, or via feedback form from Sync. Don't forget to mention this topic and your username, so that I knew what it's all about. 

@goli,

Many cases seem to have their own root causes. Yours might as well. So I suggest either trying Alpha 2.0, or sending logs from Sync 1.4., if you haven't yet. whichever you'll like more.

Thank you all.