"database Error." On Some Folders When Resuming Android Client From Idle

jdrch

Getting the following when resuming the Android (4.4.4) client (2.0.80.0) from idle:

Screenshot_2015-03-23-07-51-51~01.png

Syncing with Windows 64-bit 2.0.93 client on 3 other machines.

I'm guessing the Android client may be choking because the folder contents were changed while the client wasn't running?

Yet another issue the 1.4 client didn't have. Any ideas?

I'm guessing the Android client may be choking because the folder contents were changed while the client wasn't running?

Unlikely. 

was Sync shut down correctly? or was it a "force stop"? This error will appear because database got corrupted. And this may happen if Sync was not closed correctly (for example crashed) and was not able to save its database

Unlikely. 

was Sync shut down correctly? or was it a "force stop"? This error will appear because database got corrupted. And this may happen if Sync was not closed correctly (for example crashed) and was not able to save its database

No, it wasn't force closed. I have Battery Saver and Auto Sleep disabled; the client simply went to "idle" in the Android sense while in the notification tray. When I resumed it via tapping the notification, the errors appeared after the folders were loaded.

As I said, 1.4 never had this issue. You could stop, idle, force close, and resume with no problem. So it would seem 2.0 is less robust for some reason.

There were same database corruptions in Sync 1.4, but then syncing was not stopped. This might have lead to bad results with files corruption, incorrect syncing, etc, well because database is corrupted. 

Now, when db gets damaged, syncing stops and error message appears. 

@jdrch

Many Android devices are known to kill Sync in background with "Force stop", which is not a good way to let an app finish its work and save its configs and database, so corruption appears. 

There were same database corruptions in Sync 1.4, but then syncing was not stopped. This might have lead to bad results with files corruption, incorrect syncing, etc, well because database is corrupted. 

Now, when db gets damaged, syncing stops and error message appears. 

@jdrch

Many Android devices are known to kill Sync in background with "Force stop", which is not a good way to let an app finish its work and save its configs and database, so corruption appears. 

Fair enough. FWIW since I disconnected and reconnected the trouble folders on phone all seems to be working.

• 3 months later...

Got this too out of the blue. I don't run any task killers and the phone was just sitting doing nothing. It synced a few files yesterday night fine, today it says "Database error". I haven't even touched it since the last time it worked. Exiting and restarting sync doesn't help.

Is there an official way to recover from this?

Force closing shouldn't damage the database anyway. Don't you use sqlite transactions for this kind of thing?

• 1 month later...

any news on this topic?  I have the same problem here.  Simple folder with 2 xls files.  Android phone is configured dedicated for 1 application, so nothing else installed.   no battery saving,.  The 2 files involved that need to be synced are always open on the android phone and occasionally read by a windows system.  Already tried a full reinstall of the system.  After this we got the problem less frequently.  (went well for 3 weeks).  now the problem is back again.

torrent sync version: 2.1.0 (327)

android version: 4.1.2

very annoying... any suggestions are welcome.

thanks

The 2 files involved that need to be synced are always open on the android phone and occasionally read by a windows system.

I'm pretty sure this is your problem. Sync by its very nature doesn't support concurrent changes across multiple peers. Also, Sync won't detect a change in a file unless it's saved, and I suspect how that's implemented varies across OSes. Reasonably sure that if you start over from scratch with the folder and save the .XLS files between edits, you should be OK.