Randomly Getting Machine "disconnected By Owner"

kodyb

I have one machine in a group of 7 peers.

It is randomly getting false status messages that it has been "disconnected by owner". I can't find any history of this happening to others. Furthermore, we're not using the paid features of BT Sync 2.0, so we don't actually have the capability to disconnect this machine except from the machine itself.

I can't find anything in the log file that seems to indicate the disconnection that's going on. 

Can anyone offer some insight into what's happening?

Thanks,

-Kody

• 7 months later...

Hi! Did you get rid of this problem? I've been seeing it for maybe a month now but it can't be widespread because you're post is the only one mentioning this (even outside of this forum). I don't know if it actually affects transfers because I don't use this machine much nowadays, it's mostly a backup machine for my main PC at home. It always goes away if I restart BT sync but then comes back after a while. I'm on windows 10 pro, 64-bit.

At the risk of sounding like a "me too post."  We use BTsync to keep Arma 3 addons in sync between members of our community using a shared read-only folder.  Since upgrading to 2.3.3, we're also seeing this folder on new members attempting to get the folder for the first time.  If there's any additional information we can provide, please let me know.

Funar,

Apparently those new members' identity is not added to acl , or added as "no access" permission level, to put it simply.

If they are on Windows, check CNG Key Isolation service - try restarting it. Also, check time settings on them.  And finally, see what's going on with folder Owner - is he/she sees those denied peers in their peer list.  

A quick fix would be to recreate Sync identity on their machines and try to connect to the folder again. 

If these do not help, share a few details about your setup - platforms, how peers are connected (linked under one identity or not), which exactly folder is affected and how it's added to those members. 

On 3/1/2016 at 1:09 AM, Funar said:

At the risk of sounding like a "me too post."  We use BTsync to keep Arma 3 addons in sync between members of our community using a shared read-only folder.  Since upgrading to 2.3.3, we're also seeing this folder on new members attempting to get the folder for the first time.  If there's any additional information we can provide, please let me know.

"me too" posts are necessary when there's no "I also have this problem" button or something similar.

On 3/2/2016 at 5:00 PM, Helen said:

Funar,

Apparently those new members' identity is not added to acl , or added as "no access" permission level, to put it simply.

If they are on Windows, check CNG Key Isolation service - try restarting it. Also, check time settings on them.  And finally, see what's going on with folder Owner - is he/she sees those denied peers in their peer list.  

A quick fix would be to recreate Sync identity on their machines and try to connect to the folder again. 

If these do not help, share a few details about your setup - platforms, how peers are connected (linked under one identity or not), which exactly folder is affected and how it's added to those members. 

Further information about acl and CNG would be great because I don't understand what that is or what to look for. Where do I restart CNG? I can't find any CNG in the task manager.

I have had issues in the past when using the same identity on all machines so I always set up BT Sync as it's own identity on each machine I use. At the moment 2 PC's with Windows 10 Pro. I only share one folder and both users are set as owners with all permissions. Time settings are in sync.

I will try to reconfigure BT Sync from scratch.

@mertzi

hit Win+R -> type services.msc, in the list of services find CNG Key Isolation service, right click on it -> restart. 

When machines are linked under one identity ,they are all Owners - i.e. there is only one Owner, and it cannot revoke access from itself. I suspect that one of the machines got actually its identity corrupted, so it no longer was considered a part of the shared identity. 

If it happens, please send the logs from the machine who got denied and folder owner, also, a screenshot of owner's peer list would be much appreciated. Here's instruction for collecting logs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2016 at 4:46 PM, Helen said:

@mertzi

hit Win+R -> type services.msc, in the list of services find CNG Key Isolation service, right click on it -> restart. 

When machines are linked under one identity ,they are all Owners - i.e. there is only one Owner, and it cannot revoke access from itself. I suspect that one of the machines got actually its identity corrupted, so it no longer was considered a part of the shared identity. 

If it happens, please send the logs from the machine who got denied and folder owner, also, a screenshot of owner's peer list would be much appreciated. Here's instruction for collecting logs.

A little late response but thank you! I did a complete re-installation/re-setup of BTSync instead and haven't seen the issue since. So no logs unfortunately. I'm now on 2.3.3 (296) and it works perfectly.

• 2 years later...

I am facing a similar issue. There is a folder named Services which when shared with new users, immediately shows a "Disconnected by Owner" message. All the other folders sync fine. Also it shows 0 of 0 peers online message while for other folders the peers show online. I have tried almost everything in vain, choosing a new identity, restarting CNG service, etc. but still not able to figure out what to do ?

Have even mailed support but the response comes after 3-4  days and even sending the logs to the support have not helped at all. 

Please help me out. 

• 4 months later...

This issue stills appearing on my devices, and I have not found a final solution, and other forum explaining the problem or solution. 

Sometimes, folders returns after a reboot, and other times, I had have to reinstall. The last time, I put the firewall down, and that worked, but the problem souldn't be never.

Thanks 4 read and maybe we can find a solution, sharing this.

• 6 months later...

About 2 years ago I setup a sync point between a Surface and my Desktop machine. Both machines had ownership privileges. The Desktop box still has ownership, but this morning the Surface displayed the message "an owner removed your permission to access $name_of_share$". Looking through the sync.log I see:

{
  "id": "<async message id>",
  "response": {
    "folders": [
      {
        "access": 4,
        "archive": "C:\\_Share\\.sync\\Archive",
        "archive_files": 0,
        "archive_size": 0,
        "available_space": "25.7 GB",
        "date_added": 1572453485,
        "down_eta": 0,
        "down_speed": 0,
        "down_status": 100,
        "error": 111,
        "errors": [
          {
            "data": {
              "error": 111,
              "error_scope": 2
            },
            "id": 0,
            "last_updated": 1578643879,
            "size": 1,
            "type": 1
          }
        ],
        "files": 8534,
        "firstsynccompleted": 1578504639,
        "folderid": "12345678901234567890",
        "has_key": true,
        "id": "12345678901234567890",
        "indexing": false,
        "is_owner": true,
        "ismanaged": true,
        "iswritable": true,
        "last_modified": 1578504683,
        "local_files": 8534,
        "local_size": 34522859659,
        "locked_files": 0,
        "name": "_Share",
        "onlinepeerscount": 0,
        "path": "C:\\_Share",
        "paused": false,
        "peers": [
          {
            "direct": true,
            "downdiff": 0,
            "downfiles": 0,
            "has_files": 1510,
            "has_files_size": 1488353247,
            "id": "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMN",
            "isonline": false,
            "lastreceivedtime": 0,
            "lastseentime": 1578601676,
            "lastsenttime": 0,
            "lastsynctime": 1578504639,
            "name": "SERA",
            "updiff": 0,
            "upfiles": 0,
            "userid": "ZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZE"
          }
        ],
        "remoteindexing": false,
        "size": 34522859659,
        "status": 7,
        "stopped": false,
        "synclevel": 2,
        "totallastsynccompleted": 1578504639,
        "up_eta": 0,
        "up_speed": 0,
        "up_status": 100,
        "users": [
          {
            "id": "DONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONK",
            "name": "S5"
          },
          {
            "id": "ZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZEBRAZE",
            "name": "S10"
          }
        ],
        "warnings": []
      },
      {
        "archive": "C:\\df\\E\\_share\\.sync\\Archive",
        "archive_files": 0,
        "archive_size": 0,
        "available_space": "25.7 GB",
        "date_added": 1575896413,
        "down_eta": 0,
        "down_speed": 0,
        "down_status": 100,
        "error": 0,
        "errors": [],
        "files": 73569,
        "firstsynccompleted": 0,
        "folderid": "52442552442552442552",
        "has_key": true,
        "id": "52442552442552442552",
        "indexing": false,
        "is_owner": true,
        "ismanaged": true,
        "iswritable": true,
        "last_modified": 1576000532,
        "local_files": 73567,
        "local_size": 2670455283,
        "locked_files": 0,
        "name": "_share",
        "onlinepeerscount": 0,
        "path": "C:\\df\\E\\_share",
        "paused": false,
        "peers": [],
        "remoteindexing": true,
        "size": 2676771592,
        "status": 8,
        "stopped": false,
        "synclevel": 2,
        "totallastsynccompleted": 0,
        "up_eta": 0,
        "up_speed": 0,
        "up_status": 100,
        "users": [
          {
            "id": "DONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONKEYDONK",
            "name": "S5"
          },
          {
            "access": 3,
            "id": "CELERYCELERYCELERYCELERYCELERYCELERYCELERYCELERYCELE",
            "name": "S"
          }
        ],
        "warnings": [
          {
            "id": 0,
            "ignored": 0,
            "last_updated": 1578504548,
            "size": 2,
            "type": 2,
            "warning_type": 7
          }
        ]
      }
      ],
    "status": 200
  }
}

I chopped this up a bit a to hide any actual ids and to remove other shares, but if requested I can provide more.  There was only one entry with "warnings" so I made sure to include that as well, but it was for a different sync point.

Restarting Resilio on the Surface seems to temporarily have fixed the problem, but I'm concerned about potentially losing files or losing access when out.

Another consideration is that the Surface hit a low disk space situation (24GBs or so) that may have somehow caused this.

Whatever the bug is, it is concerning.

Edited by xtraeme

• 3 years later...

I've been having the same issue on multiple machines.  They each have their own ID but for some reason, 2 folders continuously get the "disconnected by owner" issue.

All the computers are using resilio sync 2.7.3 (1381) build.  Did anyone get a solution yet?  I don't want to reinstall sync on these other computers because I have 10 folders being synced and only 2 of those have this issue.  Should I just copy the folders, un-sync them with the other computers, and then re-sync them after?