Latest Destkop Build 2.1.4

RomanZ

Dear community,

Sync 2.1.4 is now available. You can get it via official download site or using direct links below. Build is not yet pushed to auto-update.

Direct Download Links:

A list of what's new, improved, changed, and fixed in this version is available in the change log.

Latest Android build is now also available via direct link: 2.1.0 APK

RomanZ, when do you plan to release any of the more recent builds to auto-update?  I have a bad experience with upgrading manually (last time, going to 2.1.1 manually, I had to redo my whole setup from scratch) so getting auto-updates seems like a safer way to get new builds..

RomanZ, when do you plan to release any of the more recent builds to auto-update?  I have a bad experience with upgrading manually (last time, going to 2.1.1 manually, I had to redo my whole setup from scratch) so getting auto-updates seems like a safer way to get new builds..

Yes, waiting for inplace auto-update is a "safer" (and easier) way to get new builds.

The general goal of the team is to push builds via auto-update approx 1-2 weeks after they are first published here in the forums, however, not every build which is made available through these "Latest Desktop Build.." forum threads makes it to auto-update - it depends upon how "stable" each build is considered (based upon community feedback here in the forums, through the support ticket system, and through testing, etc).

The latest information I have is that 2.1.4 is a "very good candidate to get auto-update", and so will likely be pushed via auto-update soon.

There are no "new features" introduced between 2.1.1 (the current version available via auto-update) and 2.1.4 (the latest version available for manual install), so if 2.1.1 is working correctly for you, it's probably worth waiting for the next auto-update.

I have two different machines running 64bit Windows 8.1. I am unable to successflly install this - either the 64-bit or the 32-bit versions - on either machine.

In all cases, the software pops up the window asking for the administrator password, then appears to silently exit.

This started when I attempted to update a 2.0.128 installation with the 2.1.1 update - it seems to have uninstalled the previous version, and then stopped.

Has anyone successfully installed this on Win8.1 64-bit?

Now I have no BitTorrent Sync installed at all. Are previous versions available for download somewhere?

@pbrooks, earlier versions of Sync allowed you to specify an install location (i.e. C:\Program Files\BitTorrent Sync), however from 2.1.1, Sync now installs to %appdata%\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync.

As such, Sync will need permission to access this location, so be sure to run the installer as an administrator, and check whether you have any security software enabled which could be preventing applications from being installed into %appdata%.

2.0.128 is still available for download here.

Thanks GreatMarko, that helps.

Why on earth take the program binary out of %programfiles% where binaries are supposed to be?? I can understand putting configuration files in %appdata% as these are likely to be different per user, but not the binary executable!!.

This doesn't work for me, or many others I would wager, as I want to run the sync as a normal non-administrator. The %appdata% location is user-specific - C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync - if I was to have to run the installer as an administrator, it would go into the Admin account's AppData location, and I'd still not find it using a normal account. The previous arrangement made much more sense!

Anyway, thanks to your hint, I found the btsync.exe executable in the AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync location, and ran it manually (the installer could apparently put it in there successfully, but couldn't execute it seems) and once triggered manually it then completed the rest of the installation, including setting itself up to run on boot.

I now have 2.1.4 running on both machines.

Thanks again Marko.

Why does 2.1.1 seem unstable and unusable? I tried several times on two different computers go get it to work with no luck.

Since uninstall, even without wanting to save settings, does nothing but delete the desktop icon, I had to manually delete all directories and regedit it out of existence.

I gave 2.1.1 the same treatment before giving up on it, but old 1.4 works perfectly on the first try.

IMHO v 2.x is but one useless program.

RomanZ,

I had this problem with version 1.4.111 and it has come back:

[2015-09-09 15:01:54] SyncReq[0x00000073774ca790][9DE8] [0000]: Unable to uncompress incoming data, err = -5
[2015-09-09 15:01:54] assert failed SyncConn.cpp:180

Using 2.1.4 on both computers trying to sync a folder with 1.2M files.

@RomanZ

I am not seeing that particular entry in the logs any more but, both nodes are still out of sync with version 2.2.0

One node is  constantly sending around 1 Mbps of data to the other one files are not getting sync.

The logs are showing a lot of info:

[2015-09-13 23:15:39] RC[9DE8]: file updated - can't proceed rename for file "\\?\D:\file.yyy", t1:1246686063 t2:1246686063 s1:10105 s2:10105 p1:0 p2:0

Or:

[2015-09-13 23:25:06] MC[9DE8] [1F06]: too many nodes to send 187671, stopping at /file.xyz

I am guessing that I will have to remove one of the folders, add it again and wait for 1.3 million files and 250GB to resync... Lovely!

You are no longer in BETA, you are selling a commercial product and, some of us, are paying for it. You need to start getting things right...

@kamborio

No need to re-add and reindex the folder. It looks like you've got a rather plain-structure folder, i.e. 190K files in a same subfolder and Sync gets a way too big chuck of service data.

Try increasing the parameter "Settings -> Preferences -> Advanced -> More options -> Max torrent metadata size" to 64Mb, should be enough in your case. Let me know if it helps.