Android Background Sync

nat101

With Sync pro; sync via MyDevices:

Do Android sync folders sync in the background, or do I need to manually load the BT sync app in order to sync? In other words,if I use any Android file manager app to create/rename/delete files, is it supposed to sync to its peers [instantly] even if I don't switch to the bt sync app?  Same question, if I modify file contents, editing a document, does it sync instantly or do I need to activate bt sync?

Also, same question(s) the other way. If modification on desktop, are changes synced on Android in background?

Thank you much.

nat

Hey nat,

Yes, Sync works on Android in background. Although, to save battery power it usually wakes up to check file changes and updates from other peers and falls to sleep again. Default check period is 30 minutes, though it can be adjusted in app preferences. So if you give Sync ~30 minutes, it should detect all changes done on Android and distribute them to other peers, as well as get changes from other _online_ peers.

That's great.

This option in Settings, though is a bit confusing.

You have:

1. Auto-Sleep (go to sleep if not active for x minutes/hours.

2. Sync when charging. (every x minutes/hours.)

Why not simply:

1. Sync on battery. (every x minutes/hours.)

2. Sync when charging. (every x minutes/hours.) [Why is there a check box here? Why not sync? ]

If I unCheck the the Auto-sleep checkbox, then what? It syncs every what?

Having said that, I am grateful that it indeed does sync in the background,

Thanks

nat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@RomanZ

Could you also explain how the files to be synced are being recognized?

I have a 64GB card in my phone, that is aprox 40 000 files. Instead of selective sync I'd like to have my whole SD card synced on NAS.

So the question is does the BTSync scan all the 40 000 files in some time periods to check if they have changed or there is some other method that informs BTSync only about the files newly created or changed? How is it then compared to other nodes?

Edited by Doman