[SOLVED] Understanding IgnoreList propogation - OR - How do I stop syncing certain files on EXISTING syncs?

Brad@IO

Having read the forum postings and articles about IgnoreList (eg http://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/205458165-Ignoring-files-in-Sync-Ignore-List- and others), the wording leaves it unclear about the behaviour on existing syncs and propagation of the IgnoreList file itself. 

ie "How do I stop syncing certain files on EXISTING syncs?"

Say I've realised that *.pyc files are syncing unnecessarily.  I want to stop this on all the peers with that sync (BTW all read/write and all running via BTSYNC WINDOWS SERVICE).

So my questions are:

1. If I change the IgnoreList file on my peer now, will that be applied IMMEDIATELY to my peer and then propagate automatically to the other peers so that *.pyc files will not sync between any of the peers?
  2. or, do I need to stop and then restart my BTSYNC WINDOWS SERVICE so that my IgnoreList will be applied and then propagate to the other peers?
  3. or, do I need to DISCONNECT and then RECONNECT the folder on my PEER in order to propgate the IgnoreList?
  4. or, do I need to DISCONNECT and then RECONNECT the folder on every peer in order to propgate the IgnoreList?
  5. or, do I need to manually update the IgnoreList on every peer?
  6. and, if I had added *.pyc to the IgnoreList file when I created the sync, would that have propagated to all peers that connected?

Hello,

1. IgnorList  is a per device and per a shared folder service file, i.e. it is configured for each device and for each shared folder separately. It's necessary to restart the app on a device to use updated ignore list. Also note that since it's a per device and a per shared folder file, Sync doesn't transfer it among your peers.

2. Yes, restart the app to apply updated ignore list.

3. No.

4. No.

5. Yes.

6. No, Sync will not synchronize a ignore list from this PC to another peer.

• ArtemPronevskiy changed the title to [SOLVED] Understanding IgnoreList propogation - OR - How do I stop syncing certain files on EXISTING syncs?
  • 7 months later...

How to edit a IgnoreList file on a Android phone?

Via computer (phone connected by USB / MTP) it's impossible, because with MTP, hidden folders are not shown.

Via phone, impossible : ES Text editor refuses to write IgnoreList (permission problem?)

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I have the same situation as the OP.

I have now added a certain filetype extension to my local IgnoreList. The corresponding files have been synced already in the past. Now I want to delete these files from the local PC, however without deleting them from the remote PC.

How do I go about that in order to make sure not to delete the source files on the remote PC? 

Or should I better add that filetype extension to the remote IgnoreList?

Thanks!

On 10/26/2019 at 8:24 PM, David.P said:

How do I go about that in order to make sure not to delete the source files on the remote PC? 

Or should I better add that filetype extension to the remote IgnoreList?

If you put file on source A then sync files with peer B then add file to ignore list on peer A and remove it on peer A it shouldn't propagate deletion to peer B even if this file is not in ignore list on peer B.