[Solved] Constant pop up error: "Illegal characters in 'icon_' on this device...

alexauran

I'm syncing between a mac and pc.  I haven't had any issues with 2.2.2.  With the 2.3.3 upgrade, I constantly receive this pop up.  The Icon_ folder is a system file, and will be regenerated by os x.  I have toggled the enable_file_system_notifications option, and it has not made any difference.  Any advice?

Error.jpg

I've added the string to the IgnoreList.  I only have the show hidden files option enabled for each os, no third party programs.  The addition line has made no difference.

# IgnoreList is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules 
# for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.
#
#
# OS generated files #
.DS_Store
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
ehthumbs.db
desktop.ini
Thumbs.db
# Temporary files #
~*
*~
.~lock.*
*.part
*.crdownload
@eaDir
@SynoResource
.@__thumb
._*

# StreamsList is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify alternate streams,
# xattrs and resource forks white list. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.
#
#
com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags
com.apple.ResourceFork
com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment

• 7 months later...
On 2/27/2016 at 3:44 AM, alexauran said:

Solved, I didn't add the string to every IgnoreList.  Thank you for your help.

While it gives me hope that you solved the issue that I too am having, it is frustrating that you didn't say how. Only band-aid I have found so far is disabling notifications in BTS/Resilio but I don't consider this a solution.

Hi, thank you for replying. I went ahead and did that to all my folders but it doesn't seemed to have worked for me. I was under the impression that the IgnoreList would not alter the management of files already synced. Also, for whatever reason my message is slightly different to yours in that instead of "Icon_" I have "Icon ". So I tried adding `Icon\n` instead but that doesn't seem to work either.

If this were to work it is, at best, a bug workaround and not sustainable going forward; I don't want to have to change the IgnoreList for ever new Sync folder I make!