(Linux) Updating (2.3.2 --> 2.3.3; 2.3.3 --> 2.3.5) results in lost settings

jegaudin

When I updated from 2.2 to 2.3 I lost all my settings (login, list of synced folders,etc...) I thought that I misread the update warnings and went ahead and reset my account and all my folders. But now each time I restart my machine, all btsync settings are lost again. This did not occur after the updates of my mac and windows machines.

I have updated to the latest 2.3.3 but the problem is the same. I have not changed any file permissions in my sync install folder and they seem to be fine.

I am using using linux mint 17 - 64 bit.

I have been using btsync since the early beta version, love it and a lot of my work is now dependent on it. Some help will be greatly appreciated!

Hey Guys,

I had this issue too.  2.3.x doesn't point to the original .sync folder for whatever reason.

When starting 2.3.x , you need to use the --storage option.  For example, if my .sync folder was here: /root/.btsync/.sync then I would start the program like this:  ./btsync  --storage /root/.btsync/.sync

See ./btsync --help for more options.

Best,

~VDub

• 3 weeks later...

This has happened both times I have updated recently (first from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3, and then again when upgrading to 2.3.5). 

Basically whatever settings btsync has on my system (Arch linux), they are lost after updating. Going to the admin page at localhost:8888 brings up the new setup page, requesting me to make an account and designate a name to be identified by other users. When I updated to 2.3.3. I just reconfigured everything, but after it happening again when I updated to 2.3.5 recently, resulting in the same issue happening again, I just downgraded to 2.3.3. 

This post indicates the same / similar issue, but never received a response. I'm not sure if there has been an issue entirely related to 2.3.X, since I missed a few updates and jumped right into the middle of 2.3.X from an earlier version of 2.2.X, but the linked post implies that this is a bug that cropped up with 2.3

Having similar issues. I reconfigured everything after updating to 2.3.3 but that was all lost when updating to 2.3.5. Have since downgraded back to 2.3.3 and it's working again. Won't be updating again until there is a confirmed fix for this.

Scratch that, I apparently hadn't rebooted, downgrading to 2.3.3 was only a temporary fix. 

I've gone through and completely wiped btsync from my system, re-installed 2.3.0, and reconfigured everything. It seems to be working now (have rebooted once and everything was still properly working), but we'll see if that continues to be the case. 

Again, won't be updating again without some clarification on what's going on here. 

Also, I don't have a .sync folder in .btsync. I have several .SyncUser folders, however. Not sure why there are multiple, or how those folders are getting generated though.

@all,

Make sure that sync uses the same .sync storage folder as before. With v 2.3.x on Linux the storage is created in your current <pwd>, rather than near binary as before. So if you launch Sync manually from a different locations, new storage will be created. You can fix it either by going to the directory where .sync is, or launching Sync with --storage /path/to/.sync pointing to the folder with all your settings.

Well, and make sure that Sync if killed correctly with a chance to save settings on quit. 

If this is not the case, we would love to get debug logs from your machines collected right after you see this happen, with  details on how exactly you start Sync, from which directories, scripts, configs etc. Thank you! You can submit everything by Contacting Support on HelpCenter. Please do not forget to mention this forum topic. 

Hi Helen, 

I'm a bit confused about what you mean. There is a .sync folder in every directory that is watched by Sync. These are still present in those directories. What I'm experiencing is that Sync, after an update, no longer recognizes that I have set it up in the first place. When I navigate to the Sync page at localhost:8888, Sync asks me to once again set up an account and an ID. I then have to go through the process of re-linking that device. It's as if I have  a fresh install that needs to be reconfigured.

For me Sync is started when my machine boots up (i.e. the btsync service is enabled) - I'm not ever directly launching Sync, so I'm again unclear about what you mean here. 

thanks for the help

yes, there is .sync in each sync share, but I was talking about .sync - storage folder, the folder where Sync keeps its settings. By default it's .sync - used to be created near btsync binary, and now it's created in current directory. And if you change directory and launch Sync, new storage is created, and your older settings are not applied.

What exactly script you use to launch Sync at boot? 

On 3/28/2016 at 6:37 PM, Helen said:

we would love to get debug logs from your machines collected right after you see this happen, with  details on how exactly you start Sync, from which directories, scripts, configs etc. Thank you! You can submit everything by Contacting Support on HelpCenter. Please do not forget to mention this forum topic. 

Thank you! 

the btsync daemon is managed / started by systemd on my system (i.e. btysnc.service is enabled). I'm on Arch linux, just simply followed the instructions found here: 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BitTorrent_Sync

I can provide debug logs as well, although I'm hesitant to try and reproduce the issue since I once again have everything working (am running 2.3.0 - have not upgraded further since I'm concerned about it breaking again). 

I would like to update to the newest version, though (2.3.5 I believe), and to any versions after that, without having to worry about needing to reconfigure the entire thing again. I'm still not clear as to what the issue is, and how to avoid it. 

@dgalt

then please submit logs to the support with the details requested - what exactly you have is service starts build, where the storage point to in its config, where binary is located, how exactly you update? if you update suing the official package from your blog site, it will be pointing to the new storage - thus the problem. 

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I'm having the same problem on my Linux machine. Sync is freshly installed. Settings are lost after restart.

On 30. 3. 2016 at 6:53 PM, Helen said:

yes, there is .sync in each sync share, but I was talking about .sync - storage folder, the folder where Sync keeps its settings.

Not sure which folder you mean.

Any help?

Thank you.