Windows Server 2016 License

rwz

Hello,

We have been using the free version of Sync for several years to sync data between our file server (Windows Server 2012) and our graphic designer who works out of her house. Today I decided to upgrade to Resilio Sync and purchased the $29 /month plan. I am now seeing an error message that says "Your Sync business license doesn't support Windows Server or Linux (x86 or x64) (I have attached the error). Our shares are just sitting in the "Stopped" state right now. I've searched all over and I cannot find anything about a "Server" license.

I have searched and I cannot find anything that talks about "Server" licensing. After the error I did find a reference to Windows Server in the EULA, but it doesn't go into a whole lot of detail.

Does anyone have any info on this, or potential licensing costs?

Thank you in advance!

error.PNG

On 26.5.2017 at 8:12 PM, rwz said:

Hello,

We have been using the free version of Sync for several years to sync data between our file server (Windows Server 2012) and our graphic designer who works out of her house. Today I decided to upgrade to Resilio Sync and purchased the $29 /month plan. I am now seeing an error message that says "Your Sync business license doesn't support Windows Server or Linux (x86 or x64) (I have attached the error). Our shares are just sitting in the "Stopped" state right now. I've searched all over and I cannot find anything about a "Server" license.

I have searched and I cannot find anything that talks about "Server" licensing. After the error I did find a reference to Windows Server in the EULA, but it doesn't go into a whole lot of detail.

Does anyone have any info on this, or potential licensing costs?

Thank you in advance!

error.PNG

4 hours ago, Moe said:

You probably need a Sync for Business License: https://www.resilio.com/sync-business/

He is already a Business Basic user.

@ellw I wouldn't bet on that.

I spun up a fresh Windows Server 2012 machine and installed Sync Business on it. Upon starting Sync the first time I got the same error as the OP. Meaning that this error is not an error with a current license.

I was able to just click the X in the top right corner and Sync continued to work for me. When I then went into the Settings Panel in Resilio Sync -> License it just stated that my trial will end in 14 days.

So my guess is that the Sync team wants to highlight the need for a different license. I find the wording quite confusing.

Ok so there seems to be a bug in Sync when you try to use the 14 day trial. You can't sync any data until you apply a proper license - I just tested it with testing license. Actually it's not a bug. It is intended like that.

Also I have already reported it to the team. Maybe one of them will be posting something sometime next week.

But my initial statement is still correct: you need a Business license to get Sync to work on a Windows Server.

You can however install the Home Use version of Sync. That will also work. But that would probably violate the EULA and TOS so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also got this message after upgrading. We purchased a business/team subscription but were still getting this message.

I was just told by support that servers are no longer supported unless you get the minimum $199/month Business Accelerator plan. If this is true, they just lost a customer.

• 2 weeks later...

@all,

On 5/28/2017 at 3:39 PM, Moe said:

But my initial statement is still correct: you need a Business license to get Sync to work on a Windows Server.

Not exactly. You need Business Accelerator to use Sync on a Server operating system - any WinServer and a Linux with non-arm arch. 
See it explained here. We'll later add the clear statement to the site. 

On 5/28/2017 at 3:39 PM, Moe said:

I was able to just click the X in the top right corner and Sync continued to work for me.

Actually, license will get applied, but none of the Pro features will work - sharing files and advanced folders will be stopped, linking devices will not work, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have an AWS hosted Windows Server 2016 instance that I share with another user. I was going to sign up for a Resilio Sync Business Basic subscription that the two of us could share to sync 1 folder between the instance and our desktops. Does this mean that I actually have to pay $199 per month to get a license that will work on the AWS instance?

It's a small business, so I assumed using Pro Home would violate the TOS, which is why I was going to go with Buisiness Basic.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you explain if this relates to Mac users at all?

Apple no does not have a "server" version of their OS, but they do have a $20 app in the App Store that helps you configure  filesharing and other "server-like" features.  

Does this count as a workstation or a server?