Replacing Dropbox

Camaban

I'm currently using backupsy from backupsy.com

There was (is?) a deal for $7 465GB VMs. I've got two of these setup (one CentOS, one Ubuntu) and running BTSync. The VMs only have 512MB of RAM, but now that we're past the early BTSync builds, this is plenty.

Two aren't strictly necessary, but when I made a mistake and lost everything on one, well.... Uploading 300GB sucks. Uploading 600GB sucks hard.

Uploading a further 100GB after that (when I'd done a rather dramatic change to my photo collection) is downright cruel.

I'd originally also setup Owncloud to make up for my lack of DB-style web interface, but it just isn't ready for the prime time yet. I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it eventually becomes less dodgy.

Either way, where I was paying $10 a month fo 100GB of highly difficult to customise DB storage, I'm now paying $14 a month for 465GB of easily customisable BTSync/Backupsy storage.

I do still use DB, but that's because of the phone app which renames my photos and videos into YYYY-MM-DD format. I've made a Python script that scans that folder every minute and copies it to a dated folder in my Camera share. If BTSync ever does that photo rename and when it gets the option to start when the phone starts, I'll ditch that remaining DB link with a smile on my face and a song in my heart :-)

There is a much easier & cheaper way to "replace Dropbox"

Just buy yourself a Windows Home Server (WHS), connect it to your home broadband, install Sync on it and Viola! - you have your own "always on" cloud storage! - no monthly fees, no hosting with a 3rd party - you are fully in control, and you can easily add more storage when needed!

On-site servers are not safe enough. You can be robbed, the house can burn down, a meteor could devastate your city...

You'd better have multiple peers around the world. :)

+1 for the linux box. It's easier to manage at this scale and it's more secure if you know what you're doing.

And don't discard Dropbox so quick. I have 29GB free storage, it's perfect to store AES256 encrypted duplicity backups of everything important. I even wrote a convenient wrapper script to automate it.

On-site servers are not safe enough. You can be robbed, the house can burn down, a meteor could devastate your city...

You'd better have multiple peers around the world. :)

+1 for the linux box. It's easier to manage at this scale and it's more secure if you know what you're doing.

And don't discard Dropbox so quick. I have 29GB free storage, it's perfect to store AES256 encrypted duplicity backups of everything important. I even wrote a convenient wrapper script to automate it.

how did you get this much dropbox on same account ?! i have 23.8 free 1 GB for the Mailbox app thing!

I got 25GB for the Great Space Race 7 months ago. It was a university thing.

I have no referrals so it could be even more.

I also have 100GB on Cubby but they don't have a linux client...

oh yep i signed up to that but didn't win anything (my mistake) and anyway my uni was so low on emails :(

but i have full referrals so this is the max i could get until next Dropquest

I use btsync on a MyBook Live with 3TB. Would be the perfect Dropbox replacement if btsync would actually let it go to sleep mode...

Hope that will work in a future version. Then I plan to buy another 3TB MBL and place it at my mother's house and sync them. So we would both have offsite-backups.

Uploading a further 100GB after that (when I'd done a rather dramatic change to my photo collection) is downright cruel.

I'd originally also setup Owncloud to make up for my lack of DB-style web interface, but it just isn't ready for the prime time yet. I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it eventually becomes less dodgy.

Might be worth giving Ajax explorer a shot - http://ajaxplorer.info/

I found it to be a bit more robust that owncloud, I'd also recommend mod_xsendfile for apache (I believe there's an equivilent module on nginx if required) if you plan to serve up large files with it

• 2 months later...

I'm using my linux home server with bt sync. Works great. So if I'm out and about with my laptop and my desktop is asleep, the server will sync me. I still have to use Dropbox, unfortunately because I depend on Notability on my ipad and it doesn't yet support bittorrent sync (but I'm hounding them!). To get around this, I run Dropbox on the linux server and it syncs my bt sync directory.

Is the following setup a possible replacement for Dropbox, I wonder:

A NAS with webdav server (e.g. D-Link DNS-320L), accessible from the internet.

The webdav mounted on a number of box'es (as davfs2 mounts on linux and ?? on windows)

BitTorrentSync running on each box (but not on the NAS)

Regards

Soren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using BTSync to sync the files and as a web frontend i use Tonido.

Works very good, you can share files, listen to music files, view video files and a lot more.

Can you please explain further how you did this? This process is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

Edited by manitoustarseed

Can you please explain further how you did this? This process is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

well i run a server and installed btsync beside tonido (www.tonido.com). You don't really need a server, any pc will do. Tonido is available for windows, linux and i thought apple as well. tonido offers a sync service as well, but is very limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, while traveling or at work I used to upload my photos to my home Apple mini. After a few weeks I realized I can't upload when my home desktop is sleeping. For that reason I first create my always online peer by setting up BitSync on AWS. Later a few friends asked me for the same service so I created http://www.usesync.com

UseSync allows you to temporarily create an always online sync folder for whatever purpose and after some time the service will stop syncing files. Right now it is set to 10 days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Adding to the point that the other readers made. The cheapest way to fix your problem is by setting up a local server and opening up for UDP 3000 on your firewall.

Omid

To properly replace Dropbox, you will need a good web frontend, from where you can manage files, shares and from where you are able to send out links to the files. Check out the BitTorrent Sync integration we added with our web-based file manager: http://www.filerun.com/features-bittorrent-sync

Sync a folder on your server with your phone in two clicks and two taps. This is 100% web-based:

post-38312-0-44188300-1389100229_thumb.p

P.S. FileRun is not opensource, but hey, neither is Dropbox, Tonido or BitTorrent Sync.

It might not be opensource but at least Tonido is free

Well, it's not that simple. Tonido has a free version, which allows you to create only 5 links to your files. It is way too limited in general, not mentioning as a Dropbox alternative.

If you want more than 5 links, you have to pay $29 every year. FileRun for a single user has a one-time fee of $39 and has no such limitations.

But the light version of Tonido might be good enough for some private users with very light usage. FileRun was designed for work environments.

Basically every PHP file manager in combination with btsync is equal to Dropbox, right?

Not really. Dropbox is popular because it makes your life ease. Not any PHP file manager in combination with BTSync achieves that. You cannot access files on the server or create shares from the remote BTSync apps. If you want a new folder on your computer or phone, you cannot do it from your common PHP file manager, but you have to access the Web GUI of the BTSync installed on your server. You will there browse the server for the folder you want to share and get the secrets. The PHP file manager will just be a frontend to the files on the server, no interaction with BTSync.

Edit: I should add a mention here. Some people don't mind spending time learning a new programming language to get an app installed, editing XML files to configure it and using SSH to manage their online files. This topic is about replacing Dropbox, which is more popular among the rest of the people. My recommendations are for this type of people.