Multithread Indexing

larsen161

It seems that indexing currently only happens on a single share at a time. When adding multiple new shares this would drastically improve speed as now it takes hours/days to sync multiple folders with 100k's of files and TBs of data. Currently, btsync is only using ~15% cpu on an m1.xlarge aws instance.

Edited by larsen161

Perhaps, but that still doesn't mean that the btsync app isn't indexing multiple shares at the same time. I'd like to see this feature added so that it can index multiple shares at the same time.

Unless the shares are on different drives you would still be limited to the I/O of the drives. On a VPS I'd expect I/O to be the bottleneck.

For someone using 7 drives and no raid setup it would make a great difference though, but in that case I would just recommend them to use a raid.

Besides there are far more pressing issues, like selective downloads and encrypted read-only secrets that are vital for usability.

• 1 year later...

@cyberto

Multithreading won't help here. Usually, the bottleneck for indexing are usually disk operations. Although, in your case  it might be different. The 100% CPU might indicate that hashing of files is way too heavy for your CPU. It might happen on low-profile CPUs, for example - on NAS devices.