Is It True There A Limit Of 50 Distinct Users Using Same Secret To Distribute Media.

No Agenda (best podcast in the universe) has been using Bittorrent Sync for a long time now to distribute the podcast to many users all over the world.  Just in the last month or so, it has been failing to deliver the newest episodes in a timely fashion.  Just today on the show, it was mentioned by a listener that the reason it may not be working any more is that there is a limit of 50 users of the secret at a time?  I do not believe this, but I have definitely seen a difference in the delivery of the files to my Read-Only No Agenda folder.  This folder is shared by tons of users, and we have all noticed a drop in the speed of our podcasts and related files being delivered.  Please advise... is there a limit or is this woman simply misinformed, and something else may be causing the problem? :wacko:

Is It True There A Limit Of 50 Distinct Users Using Same Secret To Distribute Media.

There are no limits on the number of users who can share the same Secret - where there is a limit is in the number of other devices any single device can connect to at any one time.

So, I could share a secret with say 500 people, but at any one time I'd only be connect to a maximum of 50 other devices. However, those devices in turn could themselves also connect to 50 further devices, and so forth.

Therefore the content I wish to share to 500 people will reach all 500 people, but not necessarily through my device directly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, if you have 51 online peers and they form a complete graph (each connecting to 50),

the 52nd peer would be all alone in the darkness.  :(

You're assuming though that all peers are connecting to the same 50 peers - in reality, this isn't the case, so the 52nd peer (or 53th... 54th... etc) won't be "alone in the darkness" - it'll still received files from other peers!

So, I could share a secret with say 500 people, but at any one time I'd only be connect to a maximum of 50 other devices. However, those devices in turn could themselves also connect to 50 further devices, and so forth.

Therefore the content I wish to share to 500 people will reach all 500 people, but not necessarily through my device directly.

no :) it's not the device from which you share the secret, it's the secret itself that counts. If I share the secret with you and you share the secret (from your device) with some Bob, he will connect to me as well and we will total 3 peers. If Bob shares the secret with Alice (from his device), she will connect to us all and we will total 4 nodes and so on, until we reach 50 (me included). Then no matter who shares the secret with whom - they will not connect until Bob (for example) disconnects. 

UNLESS:

(UPDATE: Bob's device disconnects from us (disables tracker, e.g.), and shares secret with Alice). Alice's device is located in Bob's LAN and her device has tracker, relay and DHT disabled. She will not count. Then Bob may share his secret (from his device) with other devices in his LAN and they will not count if they have tracker, relay and DHT disabled. If any of them enables tracker and learns about my and your devices - all's ruined! - it'll tell his LAN neighbours about us and they will want to connect. 

That's very useful to know.  I always thought it worked as GreatMarko said - a folder having a 50 peer connection limit per computer (ie each computer only being able to connect to a max of 50 others at any one time), not that there was a hard 50 online user limit for the entire folder/secret.