How To Use A Server As A Kind Of Proxy?

nickviz

Hello,

could somebody help me with the following issue:

I have 3 Windows-based machines with the BT Sync 1.3.104 installed.

A and В - offices in different countries

C - hosted server at Serverloft.

They share the same folder. What I noticed is that the transfer speed between A and B is much slower than between A and C, or B and C. So, it's 3-4 times faster to upload files from A to C (to a separate shared folder), then move them on C to another shared folder and then download them back from C to B (again with BTSync), than to transfer them from A to B directly.

I guess it might be related with the type on Internet connection at offices or so. When it works between A and B the bandwidth is not fully utilized for somehow reason...

Is it possible to configure BTSync so, that it doesn't try to sync A and B directly, but only via the C server?

Thanks in advance,

Nikolai.

What I noticed is that the transfer speed between A and B is much slower than between A and C, or B and C. So, it's 3-4 times faster to upload files from A to C (to a separate shared folder), then move them on C to another shared folder and then download them back from C to B (again with BTSync), than to transfer them from A to B directly.

Huh? Why not just sync the same folder across all 3 devices, rather than sharing A to C, then copying C from one location on C to another location on C, and then syncing that second location on C back to B!?? - just give all 3 devices the same secret, and they will share amongst themselves - the whole point of Sync is to sync your files across devices in the fastest way possible. You'll be able to sync files faster between A and B if they also both sync to the same location on C!!

i am using your szenario. do the following:

create ONE share/secret.

set this secret up on all 3 machines.

manually edit the options on A and B and C disable EVERY option like "relay" and thia stuff. unmark EVERY option there.

then mark the option on the bottom "predefined host" and on A and B enter the ip and port of C.

restart btsync on all 3 machines.

should work then.

if A and B are connected through VPN or something like that, they may still connect to each other. then you have to set up your firewall to prevent that :)