Tray Icon Won't Stop Spinning

kash

I'm having a problem on one specific Windows 7 machine with the tray icon constantly spinning. This is on version 2.0.120. I will retrace my steps.

1. Got a new computer with Win7 pre-installed with some generic user name with Admin privileges.

2. Instead of making a new account, I changed the name of the generic account and quickly found out that this doesn't change the name of the folder in \Users.

3. Followed some instructions online to change the folder name and folder name in registry while logged in to a temporary administrator account.

4. This broke sync and gave me errors on every single folder. I don't even remember what the error was now. I didn't document it.

5. Uninstalled and re-installed bittorrent sync and it fixed the problem (although, it created an extra instance of this computer in the lists on all my other devices that can't be deleted).

6. Sometimes I saw the tray icon constantly spinning even when there was no activity. Now, a couple of days later, it's constantly spinning with no activity.

7. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting every single folder. This did NOT fix the constantly spinning icon.

I'm having a problem on one specific Windows 7 machine with the tray icon constantly spinning.

Yeah, I'm also currently a constantly spinning tray icon on one of my devices (Server 2008) when no indexing/syncing activity is occurring.

I don't think it's specifically related to the steps you outlined, as I randomly have it without doing any of that!

I've actually just spoken to the devs - they have a couple of other reports of this same issue, so they are aware of it, however there is no solution at present.

UPDATE: Working with the devs, a cause of the "always spinning tray icon" has now been identified - the fix should be included in the next release!

Edited by GreatMarko

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I use Bittorrent Sync across about 10 computers in a small office.  Most of our systems are Mac (Yosemite).  I can also confirm that we are seeing the perpetually spinning tray icon on about 3 of our systems.  All systems are running v120. 

It sounds like @GreatMarko has had some luck reaching the developers (great product by the way!!), and that they have reproduced the problem.  However, I wanted to report it on Mac as well in the event the developers were focusing strictly on a Windows fix.  The issue appears to be OS agnostic.

In addition to always-spinning icon, Activity Monitor is reporting continual high CPU usage, requiring me to close Bittorrent Sync when on battery for any prolonged period.

Hope to see this new bug squashed in the next release!

• 2 years later...