iOS: Delete photos from Camera backup

I'm testing the Camera backup feature on iOS, how does one delete a "backed up" image?

My dream feature would be to have my iOS Camera Roll replicated in a Sync folder so that changes are replicated to my computer in real time (within the limits of iOS backgrounding, of course -- Assume I open the iOS Sync app and let it sync), if I delete something from iOS, I want it deleted on the desktop as well, and vice versa, it would be useful to be able to clean up from the desktop and have the photos deleted from the iOS photo library on the next sync.

However, since a true sync doesn't seem to be possible, is there at least a way to delete some of the photos once I've saved them to their permanent home? 

@The Dave photo backup implies that it backs up photos in case you accidentally remove them, too. Therefore the fact image keeps living in backup after you remove it from iOS is by design. Sorry - no "Sync" feature for camera roll for now.

Removing photo is only possible with iOS means, so you have to switch to your camera roll to delete photo.

I'm not worried about accidental deletions though, both iOS and Sync keep deleted files for 30 days. What I need is an offsite backup, in case I lose my device. 

When I delete something from iOS, is it supposed to delete from the Sync folder? That would be great if it did, but it doesn't seem to happen. 

@The Dave

When I delete something from iOS, is it supposed to delete from the Sync folder? That would be great if it did, but it doesn't seem to happen. 

It depends. If we are talking about regular sync folder - yes, deleting it from synced folder on iOS will cause deletion on all other devices. If we are talking about Camera Roll backup - then no, pic won't be deleted if you remove it from your camera roll.

• 1 year later...
On ‎2016‎年‎4‎月‎5‎日 at 9:12 PM, RomanZ said:

@The Dave

It depends. If we are talking about regular sync folder - yes, wiping photos  from synced folder on iOS will cause deletion on all other devices. If we are talking about Camera Roll backup - then no, pic won't be deleted if you remove it from your camera roll.

If we are talking about the iOS device , how to wipe photos ?  i have tried to delete photos , but they still can be found  . i haved been confused 

Right Helen, that's the problem. If I take a bad or inappropriate photo, I literally can't delete it. If I delete it from my desktop, the copy on my laptop replaces it. If I delete it from my laptop, the copy on my desktop replaces it. This makes the feature basically useless.

What I personally would like would be a true two-way sync. Keep my sync folder in complete sync with what is on the device's photos. This still functions as a backup due to Sync's archive feature.

But even if that's too much effort, at least allowing me to make the folder read-write so that I can delete unwanted content would be a start.

Camera backup is by design a read-only one-way folder, that's why it's called backup. 
If you want to delete the bad photo, delete it from Photos app. 

2 hours ago, The Dave said:

If I delete it from my desktop, the copy on my laptop replaces it. If I delete it from my laptop, the copy on my desktop replaces it.

that's option "Overwrite any changed files" does it. Disable it in share prefs on desktops. 

4 hours ago, Helen said:

that's option "Overwrite any changed files" does it. Disable it in share prefs on desktops. 

This is intended behaviour on folders I need to actually sync. Unless I can set this per folder?

Even so, it doesn't solve the problem, now I need to delete photos from at least three places. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2017 at 0:44 AM, Helen said:

Yes, you can set this per folder. 

And yes, you need to manually delete the files from each device. In case of using backup form mobile, all devices become read-only peer and they do not propagate the changes to other peers. 

I wanted to be able to edit my photos, or delete them, and have the changes propagate to my other computers.  But I didn't want to have to copy them from the Sync backup folder to another folder every time.

On a Mac, I used a folder action in Automator to transfer all the images from the read-only backup folder to a standard folder so that they, and any changes I make, propagate to my other devices.

But I'd still like the option to have the "backup" folder be read-write and to have the actions on any device propagate to the others, including the phone.  It would be a very nice way to delete unwanted images from my phone which is currently a hassle on an iPhone.

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 1.19.48 PM.png

• 7 months later...
On 2017. 5. 23. at 3:48 PM, Helen said:

Camera backup designed the way that photos' deletion is not propagated:
if you delete photos from mobile, they remain on desktops. If you delete from desktops, they remain on mobile. 

Oh, then I have a question.

Assume that I'm using camera backup which is synced with a backup server.

If I delete a photo from mobile, and then sync with a "new" desktop. In this case, the deleted photo is synced (from a backup server) or not synced (because deleted from mobile) to the "new" desktop?

My smart phone is running out of storage that I'm going to move my photos to microSD card inserted to my smart phone.

Keep the sync root and just move photos. If I made a new backup site, using resilio sync, can I backup all the photos??

• 5 years later...

I know an old thread but can we please have an option, behind a couple warnings, that forces a one-way one-time sync? This way we can delete a photo or all photos from  our mobiles and also delete those from the other RO devices.

Several use cases for this.

Thanks